Re: The ADV Channel?

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: The ADV Channel?
date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:56:29 -0800
Joseph Riggs wrote:
> --0-1451544997-1036622353=:51170
>

> Looks like Toonami may have a competitor soon.  I had my attention directed
> to this little piece of information:
>

> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=2784
>

> I suppose the biggest question is, "What are the odds that they'll play
shows

> that they don't own the American rights for?"

Very low, I think, since ADV has the rights to a lot of shows, and
since negotiating for the right to show other people's stuff takes
time and money...and at least initially, I don't imagine this venture
will have a lot of money to spare. Based on the press release, I'm
guessing ADV wants this to be basic cable, instead of a pay channel.
Unfortunately, that brings up the problem of trying to find
advertisers (some of whom probably won't want to be affiliated with
elements that could be edited out of shows). OTOH, if ADV goes the
pay channel route, I don't know if they'd be able to get enough
subscribers to make it worthwhile...

Somehow, I just don't think the American anime market is large enough
to sustain a 24/7 anime channel without editing to appease advertisers.
I don't think ADV is worrying about that, though; between this and
Newtype USA, it looks like they're trying to expand their operation
pretty significantly.

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list