Re: Queen of Blackbirds (Peter's Part 2)

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: Queen of Blackbirds (Peter's Part 2)
date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 10:13:39 -0800
Boborharold@aol.com wrote:
[...]
> For example.. in your post "undiscovered country" I didn't know what the
hell

> you were talking about. You brought up people like Masaki and Habuki without
> telling us who they were. . I know pretty much what you were getting at now,
> after reading the post i'm replying to here, and realizing that you weren't
> just making spelling errors.. still seems like you're trying to say 'Hakubi'
> but you would have fixed that by now if that's what you meant.

Don't be too sure of that; Peter's failed to address errors before. The
fact that he's using the name "Masaki" without any explanation to
suggest he's referring to brand new people leads me to believe he's
trying to use the names we're familiar with: Masaki and Hakubi (and
thus, relating the history of Tsunami and the Jurai with the history of
Washu, and relating how things came to be).

> To be honest.. I don't even know WHAT this is I'm replying to..
> I must've missed the start of this.. the  first one I caught was the Archer
> myth and at the time i thought you were just sharing a story that had vague
> cultural background.

You have definitely missed the start of this. Peter's series of posts
that attempt to relate Chinese myth to the Tenchi OVA series (and
Kajishima's work on Tenchi in general) started at least as far
back as October of 1999:
http://www.win.ne.jp/~doi/ML/tenchi/1999.10/1011.html#022

> Is this a Fan-fic, a theorized backstory, or something else all together?
> answering this would greatly improve the quality of my feedback.

I believe Peter would classify this as a theorized backstory, or
something similar. The reason so many others call these posts fanfics is
that every so often they rely on something that just ain't so (in the
OVAs or in Kajishima's doujinshi), or because they make claims about
what the truth of the OVA is, without offering support (yes, something
happened in Chinese myth; that doesn't prove that Tenchi would adhere
slavishly to some original Chinese story if it were even based on one;
Dragonball certainly didn't).

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list