Re: Circle Around (follow up to Tenchi's Choice)

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: Circle Around (follow up to Tenchi's Choice)
date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:41:50 -0800
Peter Gray wrote:
[...]
> Tenchi is a hero. The girls are divinities. There is a
> salient rule of mythology: Heroes don't bag the gods

Counterexample: Heracles. And anyway, we have reason
to believe that Tenchi himself is a god, since he
can generate Light Hawk Wings (the aura of a god,
according to Kajishima in Tenchi 101).

[...]
> particular abilities within the worry-free borders of
> Jurai. That world he may briefly visit, but to tarry

Compared to the Masaki household, I'd hardly call Jurai
worry-free. I think I'd rather deal with the chaos of
Tenchi's girls than the machinations of Seto...

[...]
> the same sequence, and then restarts anew. (And by the
> same token Kajishima always repeats his female
> characters in every series he does) In the PacRim

I used to think this, but I'm having a hard time finding
the Mihoshi character in Dual, or Masquerade, or even
in Photon. In fact, while I think that common personality
elements tend to show up in each of Kajishima's stories,
I think that there are really only three recurring
character roles...and sometimes characters slip into and
out of roles.

[...]
> And next time I post I'll get to the bread and butter
> of this string of messages. You think you know what
> this story is about?  You aren't even in its
> gravitational pull. With the exception of Tenchiken,

Peter, don't you think your theories might get treated
with a little bit more respect if they weren't thrown
around so condescendingly? Especially when you have to
waste whole posts describing concepts that you
aren't sure you understand (e.g. "Uselessness") that
are already well-defined in English ("existentialism"
in the case of the concept you described, as opposed
to "essentialism"). I mean, it sounds awfully
pretentious to go on and on about a marvelous invention,
only to reveal that you've reinvented the wheel.

[...]
 > There is no evidence of Tenchi favoring one girl above
 > the other. None of him having any particular feelings
 > for any girl at all, I might add. And he is absolutely

None? Are you sure about that? There's a difference
between Tenchi sending mixed signals, and sending
no signals at all. And other Kajishima males seem
to be situationally close enough to Tenchi that we
migth be able get some hints from their choices
(Photon excepted).

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list