Re: [ot] .hack

to <tenchi@ml.usagi.org>
from "replicant" <replicant@northstate.net>
subject Re: [ot] .hack
date Tue, 1 Oct 2002 18:23:45 -0400
----- Original Message -----
> From: "K.T.Kutani" <kutani@larimarcreative.com>
> replicant wrote:
>
> > Since I am a major geek over MMORPG's again. Let me knwo what you
> > are interested in and I might have some suggestions.
>
> My problem with MMORPGs is that there isn't really any one overriding
> goal other than building up your character.  There's rarely a story
> that you yourself get to play an important part in, it's mostly just
> walk around, kill stuff, make your character better.

Yeah, the interacting story is an element that is missing in a lot of
MMORPG's
today. The only games that I have seen that players will have a dramatic
impact
on future stories and expansions is Shadowbane (Medieval Fantasy), Dragon
Empires (Medieval Fantasy), The Saga of Ryzom (Science-Fantasy "Think Asimov
meets Miyazaki"), and World of Warcraft (Blizzard's Medieval Fantasy). My
honorable mention is The Path to Zenrai (Ancient Japanese Fantasy).

A snippit about each:
1. Shadowbane is very guild based with the possibility of Uber guild/s
running the
whole world and setting the laws. It allows a lot of open ended NPC given
quests for personal advancement. The controlling guild of a certain city
makes
the laws so PvP will be very much a part of it. Many different races and a
very
open skill system. Since the game has been in development for 4 years now,
the
graphics already look a bit dated. I'm personally tired of waiting for it,
but it
promises a lot. I tried the beta of it and it sucked harshly.

2. Dragon Empires is the MMORPG to make you drool endlessly. Beautiful
graphics, skill based advancement (no classes), quests based on the DE story
and the changing player economy (ever evolving). I could type a 20 page
essay on this game, but go to http://www.dragonempires.com and read the FAQ.
Also, sign up for their newsletter. KD and myself have been on it for
several
months now and supposedly newsletter subscribers are first choice for
testers.
It seems amazing with all that it promises, but we'll have to see.

3. The most interesting and imaginative is Ryzom. Lush graphics,
non-medeival
genre, money grows on trees, players shape the world, etc. You have to go to
http://www.ryzom.com and read up on this gem. I am very excited about this
one as well, for the sheer different setting and uniqueness.

4. Blizzard does good games. Plain and simple. Whether you like the simple
Diablo style games or the exceptional RTS games like Warcraft and Starcraft
they do it all and quite well. The game doesn't seem overly trying to
impress
anyone. They want to take the best stuff of every MMORPG out, add their
own stuff, set it in the Warcraft game realm, give you a solid game to play
free of exploits and monotony, and tell a good story to boot. <crosses
fingers>

5. Zenrai doesn't have a lot of information yet, but I really love the
setting.
http://www.zenrai.com

> I'm not too knowledgable about newer games (ANY newer games, really...
> none of the ones i've seen have interested me at all.), but if there
> are any that have more than just killing stuff and building
> levels/stats, I might be interested.
>
> There is also, of course, the money concern.  I have not much, but
> that is minor.

Just about all of them are going to be in the 10$-15$ per month range,
with the exception of Phantasy Star Online: Episodes 1&2 which is
about 15$ per 3 month block.

> <snip>
> Hah!  That'll be cool if you manage to get part of TORG.
>
> Game design is so fun.  ^_^

Dammnit, you need to move to NC. I bet we could be the next White
Wolf or old TSR(Pre-WoTC/Pre-Crappy Rehashes)! Grrr...

Here are some nice sites to check out for info on the latest MMORPG's.
http://hem.passagen.se/ulkis/onlineworlds/
http://betawatcher.com/
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/flat/0,11963,2636409,00.html
http://www.mpog.com/

*Those sites have every available or in development title listed and there
are a lot of good ones that I didn't mention. If you find one and have a
question, just ask. My main focus here lately play wise has been Korean
MMORPG's like Shining Lore, Ragnarok Online, Legend of Mir, Priston
Tale, Helbreath, and Chronicles which are all good. It's just that Korean
MMORPG's are very weak story wise. but they have exceptional skill
and action mechanics. Also, the graphics range from Ultima Online to
3D Anime. Well, enough rambling. Have at it!

Bear "replicant" Powell

"They all thought I was out of the game....
 But I'm holding all the cards now."
                - Kazuya Mishima (Tekken 4)

"Everything I like is either illegal, immoral, or
 fattening." - Alexander Woollcott

Game(s) I am currently playing the most:
Tekken 4 (US - PS2)
Dead or Alive 3 (US - Xbox)
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX (US - PSX)
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2x (US - Xbox)
Asheron's Call 2 (Online Closed Beta - PC)
Priston Tale (Online Closed Beta - PC)

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited