Subject: Re: Tenchi The Movie 2?
From: "Joseph Riggs" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:25:44 -0700

--

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:58:14  
 Gregory Himes wrote:
>
>--- Joseph Riggs <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> As for the Audio Dramas, a good number of us here 
>> 1.)  Don't have access to them, and
>> 2.)  Couldn't understand them if we did.
>> Add to that the fact that there isn't an easily available translation
>> of them 
>> that's available (for good reason), or even a plot summary of them,
>
>I have both, all of the CDs, and a translation of them.  However, I had
>to prove I had the CDs and swear I would not pass them around.  This is
>a limitation put on me by the translator.  And if you know my POV on
>piracy, you can save keystrokes by not asking me to break that
>agreement.

Wouldn't ask you to, and I hope no one else would either - although it might 
be nice if someone could someday get a paragraph summary of them up 
somewhere.
 
>> and I 
>> think its a bit much to be complaining about people's use of the
>> presence of 
>> Kiyone as one of the reasons why the movie doesn't fit properly.
>
>Just because somebody doesn't have access doesn't mean it doesn't
>exist.  As far as the movie vs. Kiyone is concerned, the day after
>OVA13 occured, Kiyone could have come to Earth (I doubt it, but...).
>
>However, my complaint is that most people just say, well it's Kiyone,
>and leave it at that, and decide that she's TV only, blindly ignoring
>proof otherwise.  However, that bit of reasoning is so full of holes
>you could pilot Tsunami through it.
>Various other things like the discrepancies relating to Katsuhito/Yosho
>and Sasami, are a much better basis for pointing out that it really is
>more of a Tenchiverse all of it's own.

We've had arguments on this list in the past over whether or not Kiyone 
exists in the OVA continuity, but as far as the animated stuff goes, she has 
yet to appear on Earth.  The presence of Kiyone (i.e. her presence in the 
household, on Earth) is thus arguably out of place.  The audio dramas may say 
differently, but since many of us haven't got a clue what's on them...
 
And as you pointed out, there are numerous other discrepencies, but amazingly 
enough, I've seen arguments in various places over them, as well.
 
Finally, its just easier (and probably lazier) to say 'Kiyone' and other 
stuff, then to go through and list all the conflicts with the OVA plot.
 
Ultimately, the movie is probably the biggest argument over why storywriters 
should try and pay attention to ALL of the elements of the storyline 
continuity that they're attempting to add to.

Be that as it may,...

the second Tenchi movie, while containing many similarities with the OVA 
continuity, does not entirely fit due to such things as the usage and 
terminology regarding the Light Hawk 'stuff' and various other items.

How's that?
=P

junior

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!
http://businesscards.lycos.com/vp/fastpath/