Subject: Re: Ryoko's Cave now opens!
From: [email-masked] (Steven Osman)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 13:46:00 -0500

Stainless Steel Rat <[email-masked]> writes...
-> >>>>> "Lanzer" == Lanzer <[email-masked]> writes:
->
-> Lanzer> Just like the Sasami Shrine, Please have a browser that Lanzer>
-> supports HTML V3.0, which means you'll want Netscape 1.1, and Lanzer> Mosaic
-> users will see virtually nothing. (sorry)
->
-> Two problems with this:
->
-> 1) HTML 3.0 is *NOT* an accepted standard, yet, so "requiring" it at this
-> time is downright foolish. There is exactly *one* HTML 3.0 compliant browser
-> out there, and that's Arena, and it's nothing more than a testbed for HTML
-> 3.0 and not a finished product. Not to
-> mention that it's only available for some Unix systems.
->
-> 2) When you "require Netscape" you effectively say, "well, you suck 'cuz
-> you're not using this really cool browser". HTML is supposed to be portable.
-> You, the HTML author, can't know what my browser is capable of doing, other
-> than complying with the agreed upon standard. That standard right now is
-> HTML 2.0, and every browser out there right now can parse it.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you.  After all, the way the internet seems to
work is that everyone shares a common language, and therefore, everyone can
communicate with each other.  I sort of think of it as the internet bible, or
"the way it is", the second you begin straying from the standards, you start
leaving people out, and that's not entirely fair now, is it?

Steven