Subject: [tenchi:105659] Re: (OT) Monitor Question
From: Alan Zabaro <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:57:24 -0800

Bear Powell wrote:
>>From: "Joseph Riggs"
>>Or the new monitor might be "used" to the settings that your friend used
>>it with, and the different inputs that its getting from your video card 
>>mightbe messing things up.  I hope that made sense.
> 
> 
> That kinda does make sense, but I have no idea how
> you would remedy such a situation if it did actually
> exist.

My father had a computer that killed a pair of LCD monitors, one after 
another. Each of them had been fine until they were hooked to his 
computer, and each of them took a while to go downhill. Once they had, 
there was really no bringing them back (hooking them back up to another 
computer didn't make things any worse, but they were just as broken).

How did he fix his computer? Well, we were guessing that the video card 
was sending something to the LCDs that they couldn't handle (too much 
current, or weird settings or something). So naturally we left the video 
card alone and reinstalled Windows. Or rather, replaced Windows ME with 
XP. That seems to have kept his computer from making things any worse, 
and the new monitor he got for the computer hasn't had any problems in 
the time it's been attached (much longer than it took to break the 
previous monitors).

I don't know how helpful this is, but there you go.

Alan Zabaro