Subject: Re: (OT) Naruto ---> Copy Control CD BS
From: Gregory Himes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:36:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Mandalis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> and I just bought the latest ED by Rhythem.  Unfortunately, I can't
> play it 
> on my PC (works on my cd player just fine) because of special copy
> protection 
> which only allows computers hooked to japanese ISP's to play not only
> the 
> audio but some special video.

Rip it, crack it, or encode it, but send the disc back...  If they are
screwin' you this way, screw 'em back.
I personally got reamed with one of the InuYasha discs (iTunes -- as a
CD player can only read the first of four tracks to play it, but
somehow thinks there is over 40 hours of music on the disc.  It also
will not play on my LD combo player, so, at the moment, unless I hook a
portable CD player into my system, I can't listen to anything but the
first track.

I have already told my contacts in Japan never to send or advertise
this crap to me, and I refuse to accept any of this BS from US
retailers (who I can at least scream at if they refuse to take the
stuff back).

I understand the reasoning, but refuse to be penalized and treated like
a pirate when I don't have any willingly accepted bootlegs (did get
stuck with several SonMays through eBay) or pirated material and have
spent more than $10000 in licensed video in 3 years, and over $3000 in
licensed/imported audio in the same period.

With this crap happening, and the artists actually getting less than 5
pennies on the dollar, I'm seriously considering the pirate life... 
Now if the artists would list addresses to send "direct royalties" to,
I'd be willing to send them at least double what the record companies
are paying them.... if not triple (and FUCK the RIAA -- talk about
piracy).

And I laugh at AppleStore (or whatever they are calling themselves). 
99 cents per song, you don't even get liner notes, a permanent copy, a
100% non-compressed form, a nice place to store this material, and they
are charging what is, at least for my normal shopping... MORE THAN
RETAIL (avg cuts per album 13-14, avg. purchase price for a mainstream
CD $11.99).  The other "on-line music store" is even worse, as their
material is apparently encrypted... and otherwise protected, so you
can't take it with you (your PC and only your PC, at least until you
have a disc crash). Or there is the other one  -- "You expect me to be
satisfied with WMP files?!? What drugs are you on, freaks!

------
"Anthy: Within this ring is the power of Dios, the power to
revolutionize the world."

====
************************************************************
Wanna see GXP pictures? The URL has changed! Project Kutani hosts:
http://projkutani.castledragmire.com/greg/GXP/PAN/GXP_Pans.html
Many pan-shots and pretty pictures.  Or my incomplete website:
www.TenchiMuyo.150m.com (and use the site map presented).
************************************************************