Re: [radio] Ruri Iro Aquarium - 1995.12.08

to seiyuu@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from erics@jna.com.au
subject Re: [radio] Ruri Iro Aquarium - 1995.12.08
date Fri, 5 Jan 1996 14:32:54 +1100 (EST)
> From: "Kevin Lew -- 'The Lai-Lai Boy'" <kasumi@eden.com>
> Subject: Re: [radio] Ruri Iro Aquarium - 1995.12.08

> > From: toshi@win.or.jp (Hitoshi Doi)
> >
> > letter: Why do people make a peace sign in front of the camera?
> > Kikuko: I wonder why?
> > Nozomu: Do you?
> > Kikuko: When I first started working, I was too embarrassed to make a
> >  peace sign.  But now it's fun so I can do it.
>
> Wait a minute.  Are you telling me that there's NO reason that people do
> it?  Or is it because they don't know?

  A friend of mine went to several Japanese schools (on a school
exchange) and took a heap of pictures. At every opportunity, the kids
would be making a "V" sign. She said it was their symbol of saying
"Hi".
  I looked at her in a strange way and she thought I was making a move
onto her until I tried to explain.... ^_^

  Though she was wondering why I wanted to get reprints of the high
school students in PE (physical education) gear on ... especially the
girls! ^_^

> Seriously, does anybody know?  I always believed that it wasn't derived
> from the 60's "peace sign" at all, but something like "V for Victory"
> from the 40's.  I could be wrong about that, but I thought that I read it
> in one of the old Mangajin mags.

  I think the meaning has different local meanings, just like
colloquailism in language.
For example, in New Zealand (where the sheep outnumber the humans!
^_^) Calling someone a "dag" could mean several things.
In the north NZ, it meant that the guy was handsome and trendy.
In Australia, it meant they dressed badly and looked like a nerd.
In the south NZ, it meant something that hung off the sheeps bum.

So I'd be careful of using these colloquialisms! ^_^

--
--| Eric Shen |---| erics@jna.com.au |---| K.Soc 1993 |---|AMS,TM!R,KOR |---
| "You're watching too much anime and still don't have a girlfriend.       |

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs