[seiyuu:28391] Re: silent majority

to seiyuu@usagi.org
from Bradley Huffaker <bhuffake@caida.org>
subject [seiyuu:28391] Re: silent majority
date Tue, 26 Apr 2016 14:39:27 -0700
While I am more then willing to debate the soul crushing conformity that is the akb48
system (is it worse then the music star system in the us…?), my real interest is
the degree to which Silent Majority is a term the Japanese are familiar with and
if it has the same meaning it does in the states. Does anyone have any thoughts?

> On Apr 26, 2016, at 9:55 AM, Robert Wesley Angelo <seiyuu@usagi.org> wrote:
>

> To me all the geese (Canada geese) in the park look the same, but maybe in their
eyes they see many individual differences. And maybe it is that way with "silent majority";
even though outsiders see only conformity, maybe for them, within that
> conformity there is much space for non-conformity (individualism). A further comparison,
maybe: nothing is more conformist than the military, but even there extraordinary
acts of individual initiative and bravery are praised.

> On Tue, 4/26/16, Bradley Huffaker <bhuffake@caida.org> wrote:
>
> Subject: [seiyuu:28388] Re: silent majority
> To: "Robert Wesley Angelo" <seiyuu@usagi.org>
> Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 11:55 AM
>
> You are correct. I should
> have typed "wont"
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 12:59:29AM +0000,
> Robert Wesley Angelo wrote:
>> You have
> confused me now about _want_ and _wont_
>>

>> I think this is correct:  as is my
> wont
>>
>> meaning:
> custom, habit, practice
>>
>> Yes?

>> On Mon, 4/25/16, Bradley Huffaker <bhuffake@caida.org>
> wrote:

> [seiyuu:28386] silent majority
>>   To: seiyuu@usagi.org
>>   Date: Monday, April 25, 2016, 5:15 PM
>>
>>   So listen to a
> 10 minute compilation
>>   of the Hot 25
> Japan, as is my want,
>>   when I
> heard:
>>

>     http://www.jpopsuki.tv/category/video/Keyakizaka46---Silent-Majority/4af04696e6919e0157fbd0df918f0923/

>>   The idea that a
> group which is founded on the idea of
>>
> absolute obedience
>>   and uniform
> appearance of it's members, should preach
>>   individual
>>
> freedom is pretty hypocritical stuff. I was left to
> wonder
>>   if "Silent
>>   Majority" is actually used in Japan
> or if it's an
>>   misappropriation of
>>   purely American solgan.
>>

>>   --
>>       the
> value of a world model is not how
>>
> accurately it captures reality
>>
> but how often it leads us to take appropriate
>>   action
>>

> --
>     the value of a world
> model is not how accurately it captures reality
>     but how often it leads us to take
> appropriate action

Search field Search string

archive list