Re: How do seiyuu get cast?

to <seiyuu@usagi.org>
from "'CuSO4' Yung" <cuso4@cuso4.com>
subject Re: How do seiyuu get cast?
date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:32:03 +0800
> From: "Liv" <e-traveler@whale-mail.com>
> How do seiyuu get cast in anime/CD drama/videogame roles? Do their
> management agencies do all the work, sifting through new projects
> and "nominating" the seiyuu on their staff to different production
> companies? Or do individual seiyuu actively look out for roles they
> want? Do seiyuu need to audition or do they mostly get
> hired on the strength of their track record?

AFAIK,

When a project needs seiyuu, the director or sound director
will either:
1. held auditions to find suitable seiyuu for a role
2. appoint/nominate particular seiyuu to fill in
   particular roles

In both case, the production will inform all those related
seiyuu management agency.  Of course there will be exception
such as sponser pressure or finanical consideration.

E.g. the sponser of the project wants to use a seiyuu
belongs to their subsidary's, specially when OP/ED are
involved and the seiyuu in mind can sing.  Or, the
producers found using a big name seiyuu on a minor role
is too expensive.

Whether a seiyuu is being hired because of their performance
in the auditions or by track records are completely the
director or sound director's decision.

> Do they get to override any decision their management agency
> makes and say no?

As to the dispute between seiyuu and his/her management
agency, its entirely deoneds on the details of the contract
they signed.  The seiyuu might or might not have the power
to override the decision of the agency.

Usually, new seiyuu will sign mangement agency to use
their fame/resources to help thier career.  The seiyuu
might get a very small portions of the money the
production paid to the agency.  So as time goes by,
some big name seiyuu might go "free" or setup thier
own agency in order to receive most of the money
involved.  E.g. Hayashibara Megumi, Inoue Kikuko,
Yokoyama Chisa.

> Has anyone ever hired seiyuu from a single management
> agency for any single production or project?

I thnk the Kira Kira Melody game was using all the seiyuu
of a single managemetn agency.  It was its intend, but I
do not know if the game was finally released or not.

--
'CuSO4' Yung
cuso4@cuso4.com, cuso4@manbow.com, cuso4@computer.org

Search field Search string