Re: CC CD

to <seiyuu@usagi.org>
from Jean Takabayashi <jeant@lava.net>
subject Re: CC CD
date Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:13:04 -1000
on 1/29/04 12:30 PM, Joe Monson at nihon@nausicaa.net wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2004, at 22:47, Hitoshi Doi wrote:
>>
>> I haven't bought many "real" CDs in a long time, so I didn't know
>> how widespread the CC CDs were (CCCD = Copy Control CDs).
>
> It's becoming more widespread, though Japan seems to be leading the
> pack with it.

i didn't want to buy certain cds, because i was afraid i wouldn't be able to
rip tracks from them. i don't normally carry cds around, but rip them onto
my computer and make my ipod do the work, so a cd would be more trouble if i
couldn't.  but then i bought a drama cd that was copy protected.  can't
actually see why they'd bother. i don't think too many people rip drama
tracks, and i certainly wasn't intending to, so i didn't care.

>> The CD states (on the jacket) that it won't play on Macs,
>
> This isn't exactly true, because you can get them to play if you trick
> the system. There are a couple ways I've heard of:

yeah, that's what the insert said ("will not play on macintosh" in english
no less), but i put it in anyway, just to see, and it played without any
problems. didn't have to fool around with markers or anything.  maybe it's
actually pc users who have to do the whole marker thing.

and the copy protection let me rip a track too.  it had a song, so i made
the attempt.  this copy protection appears to be a slight waste of money...

> 1. Use a permanent black marker to CAREFULLY mark out the "garbage"
> track near the outer edge of the CD. Doing this will cause the laser to
> not "see" the garbage, and it will then play just like any other CD.
>
> 2. Use electrical tape to block it out while reading it, and then
> remove it when done.
>

> Joe

Search field Search string

archive list