Re: Doing otaku-like things... (Was: To Doi-san again. ^_^U )

to seiyuu@ml.usagi.org
from Tulip Ryan <kissedbytulip@yahoo.com>
subject Re: Doing otaku-like things... (Was: To Doi-san again. ^_^U )
date Sun, 3 Feb 2002 21:22:49 -0800 (PST)
--- Hitoshi Doi <doi@win.ne.jp> wrote:
> It's not good to become famous (or infamous) in Japan,
> especially for doing "otaku-like" things.

That was my impression. ^^;

But, I was very surprised to watch, on a Japanese program on a local
channel here, a "bike racing" otaku being featured. She idolised a
famous bike racer (sorry, I cannot remember the name, but yeah he was
very good-looking ^^;). She attended all his races, made banners to
encourage him, bought everything that had his face on it, apparently
she had even met him a few times because she had quite a number of
autographed souvenirs. (She's a married woman with a young daughter but
her husband is coolly unperturbed by her groupie behavior. ^O^)

The television crew followed her on one of her "pilgrimages" to support
her idol in a race, and she not only displayed her banner and jumped
around and yelled enthusiastically during the race, but she stayed
behind and hung around an exit to wait for her idol, and when he came
out (one of the TV crew had the audacity to yell out his name several
times to see if he was going to respond ^^;) she gave him a present (in
a paper bag, I have no idea what it was, looked hefty ^O^).

The idol didn't seem flustered at all. o.O

Is this "typical" otaku behavior? Do Japanese celebrities tolerate this
or even expect it... and to what extent? What if a fan made his/her
idol an indecent proposal?

I'm just thinking aloud. ^^x;

--
A Voice Apart: Ueda Yuuji