Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15

to seiyuu@ML.usagi.org
from Greg <gemmes@offratel.nc>
subject Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15
date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 11:01:37 +1100

Dan Hollis wrote:

> > wasn't MP3 only on Windoze until some decided to port it to other
> > systems ?
>
> NO!!
>
> mp3 was an open ISO standard *from day one*. In fact the first mp3 (and
> mp2) encoders/decoders were on unix.

sorry, just asking (^_^)

> if dvd players play mpeg-4 tomorrow, it won't be an m$-version of mpeg4.

Yes, let's hope so.

> And it will be a long time before mpeg-4 is adopted as standard for
> hardware players. After all they don't have any compelling reason to
> support it since mpeg2 is doing so well.

Well, when I saw the results from DIVx ;), I immediately thought :
"Wow ! the chinese VCD guys will quickly zero in on that.
This quality for that bitrate ...."
no compelling reason, just convenience.

> > If everybody starts using it for making movies, with free tools,
> > like today MP3s who's going to stop it ?
> > If it reaches a certain user-mass, DVD-players will play it too I guess.
>
> Very few dvd-players play mp3 (raite, yamakawa, apex...), while 99% of
> them do not. Hardly a very compelling argument for mp3, and even less for
> mpeg4!

Right. I should not forget the players I get around here are from the Asian market.

> > To be honest, the only more thing I could wish about this is to be released as

> > open-source of course.
>
> m$ release source code for their OS DLLs? you must be kidding.

I was speaking of the DIVx guys (^_^)

Greg.

Search field Search string

archive list