Re: OT: mpeg4 (was: Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15)

to seiyuu@ML.usagi.org
from Dan Hollis <goemon@anime.net>
subject Re: OT: mpeg4 (was: Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15)
date Tue, 3 Oct 2000 16:27:08 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Greg wrote:
> Dan Hollis wrote:
> > The one M$ uses isn't mpeg4 but rather some mangled thing which uses some
> > algorithms of mpeg4 but not the official block structure. good old
> > "embrace and extend" tactics, m$ may manage to kill mpeg4 entirely before
> > it gets off the ground by entangling it with proprietary extensions.
> I'm not defendind m$ in any way .. but who else has implemented MPEG-4 as
> of today ?

mpeg4 is still experimental, but m$ hasnt implemented mpeg4 either... only
a mangled half-version of it.

> > "divx ;-)" is a hack of m$' "mpeg4" codec, so its mangled version of a
> > mangled codec.
> It doesn't mean it isn't good.
> It doesn't mean it won't get better. ne ?

If m$' half-version of mpeg4 becomes too popular or entrenched, it could
very well kill off official mpeg4 before it's even started.

After all look what m$ did to java... there was a chance for a real
standard but m$ corrupted it on purpose (and sun didn't help much either,
but...)

> Let's keep an eye on it.

... but use real standard open codecs in the meantime ...

-Dan

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited