Re: OT: mpeg4 (was: Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15)

to seiyuu@ML.usagi.org
from Greg <gemmes@offratel.nc>
subject Re: OT: mpeg4 (was: Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15)
date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 10:12:48 +1100
Dan Hollis wrote:

> The one M$ uses isn't mpeg4 but rather some mangled thing which uses some
> algorithms of mpeg4 but not the official block structure. good old
> "embrace and extend" tactics, m$ may manage to kill mpeg4 entirely before
> it gets off the ground by entangling it with proprietary extensions.

I'm not defendind m$ in any way .. but who else has implemented MPEG-4 as
of today ?

> mpeg4 is a standard, what m$ is using isn't. just like m$' gsm codec isnt
> gsm either, but yet again a mangled version of it which is incompatible
> with the official iso specification for gsm.

as usual ... (-_-)

> "divx ;-)" is a hack of m$' "mpeg4" codec, so its mangled version of a
> mangled codec.

It doesn't mean it isn't good.
It doesn't mean it won't get better. ne ?

Let's keep an eye on it.

Greg.

Search field Search string

archive list