Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15

to seiyuu@ML.usagi.org
from Greg <gemmes@offratel.nc>
subject Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15
date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:59:51 +1100
Dan Hollis wrote:

> > Hello Dan, I think you need a quick update on MPEG-4 (^_^)
>
> Nope, i'm quite aware of all MPEG-4 things ^_^

too bad, just when I thought I could show you something
interesting (^_^)

> > Have a look at these adress :
> > http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/00q3/000913/index.html
> > (copying a DVD video to CD-Rom)
>
> Windoze piracy tools,

Ara ? What does converting MPEG1/2 to 4 has to do with piracy ?
(the article only states the smaller filesize enable it to be stored on a CD.)

> i've no need to copy DVD videos... no thanks...

I do. I want to make my own video-clips from all the anime sequences I love.
not mentioning Karaoke-oriented ones. (^_^)
(I'll shoot with .50 cal. on the first one who says I can't do that with the
DVDs
I own ... (^_^))

> > http://go.to/flaskmpeg
> > (freeware encoder)
>
> Windoze only, using built-in closed binary-only m$ codecs to compress the
> data (flask doesnt have its own mpeg4 encoder)

Which built-in ? I use the (external) DIVx ;) codec for mpeg-4 encoding. It's
not from m$ ...

> > http://divx.ctw.cc
> > ( DIVx ;) multi OS codec)
> > (multi Os means : PC, Mac, Linux, BeOS (^_^))
>
> Decoder only, no source. linux/beos encapsulate the windoze dll for
> playback.

Why don't you give the people who wrote DIVx ;) some time ?
For starters, they do it for free... It's quite recent too ...

> > It's spreading fast !! Kinda like it's the MP3 for video...
>
> Only for windoze...

wasn't MP3 only on Windoze until some decided to port it to other systems ?
It's logical to start on the most wide-spread system, isn't it ?

> Please, only use ISO-approved standards (mpeg1/mpeg2) and don't reward
> those companies making non-ISO-approved proprietary closed systems.
>
> Anyway, I don't want to be handcuffed to my computer. I want to be able to
> watch videos on any DVD player on a television. With mpeg1/mpeg2 this is
> possible. With "mpeg4" it's not.

DVD players nowadays play MP3.
How can you say they won't play a not m$ version-tied MPEG-4 tomorrow ?

If everybody starts using it for making movies, with free tools,
like today MP3s who's going to stop it ?
If it reaches a certain user-mass, DVD-players will play it too I guess.

To be honest, the only more thing I could wish about this is to be released as
open-source
 of course.

Greg.

Search field Search string