Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15

to seiyuu@ML.usagi.org
from Dan Hollis <goemon@anime.net>
subject Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15
date Tue, 3 Oct 2000 14:50:37 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Greg wrote:
> Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > Someday I'll have to try MPEG4.
> > Please don't. It's non standard microsoft-only proprietary.
> Hello Dan, I think you need a quick update on MPEG-4 (^_^)

Nope, i'm quite aware of all MPEG-4 things ^_^

> Have a look at these adress :
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/00q3/000913/index.html
> (copying a DVD video to CD-Rom)

Windoze piracy tools, i've no need to copy DVD videos... no thanks...

> http://go.to/flaskmpeg
> (freeware encoder)

Windoze only, using built-in closed binary-only m$ codecs to compress the
data (flask doesnt have its own mpeg4 encoder)

> http://divx.ctw.cc
> ( DIVx ;) multi OS codec)
> (multi Os means : PC, Mac, Linux, BeOS (^_^))

Decoder only, no source. linux/beos encapsulate the windoze dll for
playback.

There's no encoder for anything but windoze.

So I'll repeat: standard microsoft-only proprietary.

> It's spreading fast !! Kinda like it's the MP3 for video...

Only for windoze...

Please, only use ISO-approved standards (mpeg1/mpeg2) and don't reward
those companies making non-ISO-approved proprietary closed systems.

Anyway, I don't want to be handcuffed to my computer. I want to be able to
watch videos on any DVD player on a television. With mpeg1/mpeg2 this is
possible. With "mpeg4" it's not.

-Dan

Search field Search string

archive list