Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15

to seiyuu@ML.usagi.org
from Dan Hollis <goemon@anime.net>
subject Re: Anicom TV 2000.09.15
date Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:57:09 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Hitoshi Doi wrote:
> Dan wrote:
> I used TMPGEnc to convert some of my 2.8 Mbit mpegs to 1.5 Mbit,
> 1.8 Mbit, and various other mpegs.
> Judging by my eyes on my computer (PIII-700)/monitor (Nanao 17")
> setup, I couldn't see any difference when watching the mpeg at
> 100% size (352x240).   But when I watched it at full screen,
> 1152x900 (or whatever Win98 considers 1megapixel), I could see
> a clear difference in the "blocks" and fuzziness.

Transcoding mpeg to a lower bitrate is doubly lossy, worse than simply
encoding from source material directly to 1.5mbit in the first place...

BTW, if your video card supports bicubic interpolation in hardware, m$
directX can use it to smooth the mpeg macroblocks. Result is a nice image
even when scaled full screen. (on some drivers you have to enable this
function manually)

Almost all DVD players do bicubic interpolation, so if you make a VCD it
tends to look better on TV with DVD player...

> So for stuff I record on my Hi8 camera (or DV camera when I get DV),
> I'll stick with high rates, and I'll probably convert to low rates
> for TV stuff.

TMPEG and DV is a good match... and firewire cards are super cheap now.

> By the way, some of my friends use 10 to 20 Mbit rates.
> That's one short song per CDR.. (^_^;

They should look at using SVCD format instead. (mpeg2, 480x480, VBR) this
will give them at least double the quality of 20mbit mpeg1, for much lower
bitrate.

> Someday I'll have to try MPEG4.

Please don't. It's non standard microsoft-only proprietary.

> I also need to get a MPEG2 capture device.. and more HD space.

I don't know what price drives are going for in Akiba, but you can get
80gb ATA100 drive for $274 here... that's a lot of space for desktop video
production, I get by on merely 40gb ^_^;;

-Dan

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited