Re: [Off topic] Video Capture / Re: [TGS] mpeg of Daisuki

to seiyuu@ML.usagi.org
cc games@ML.usagi.org
from Dan Hollis <goemon@anime.net>
subject Re: [Off topic] Video Capture / Re: [TGS] mpeg of Daisuki
date Mon, 7 Aug 2000 12:10:58 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Wing Wong wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, gameouji wrote:
> > --------MPG Capture--------
> > I am currently having a shelves full of VHS tapes and would like to
> [snipped]
> > consuming process, is there anything out there that will allow capturing
> > of mpg directly??
> I think there were one or two boards which captured direct to Mpeg-1 video
> compression. But they cost in the range of $499+... I think the
> Voodoo5(high end version) can capture to mpeg-1. not sure about the
> quality though.. or the sound syncing it can achieve.

Hardware encoders (except very very expensive ones, >$10,000) have very
bad quality compared to software encoders. In order to get realtime
encoding in cheap hardware, you have to cut corners (sacrifice much
quality).

> milliseconds or whole seconds. ^_^; I use a io-mega buzz capture card. (It
> sucks, but it runs under Linux. And I can script it to convert from the
> movtar mjpeg format to mpeg-1/2. But sound sync issues also happen here
> because the Buzz and sound are not coupled directly. But the buzz does
> have mjpeg compression built it. ^^)

Iomega Buz has REALLY bad quality. But I'm sure you've noticed that.

> Otherwise, sound/video syncing will almost always be an issue.

sound/video sync is almost always software issue.

With $50 video card (WinTV/GO), virtualdub, and cheap yamaha soundcard, I
get perfect sync sound/video every time.

-Dan

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited