Re: does Mousse have a chance?

to mlist-ranma@nntp-server.caltech.edu
from whuang@cco.caltech.edu (Wei-Hwa Huang)
subject Re: does Mousse have a chance?
date 1 Oct 1995 23:38:10 GMT
C h a e <paladine@p.imap.itd.umich.edu> writes:
>On 1 Oct 1995, Wei-Hwa Huang wrote:

>>   Shampoo has been steadily
>> defeating Mousse since they were kids, so what makes you think that
>> Mousse has stopped trying?  If he could defeat Shampoo, he'd have done
>> it long ago.  I mean, he's practically a slave at the Nekohanten.  Why
>> torture himself like that if he could just defeat Shampoo once and win her
>> love and respect?

>	Because it would take one fiancee away from Ranma and all the
>zany fiasco in Ranmaverse about multiple fiancees would have one less
>fiancee.  But more seriously, one of the more consistent theme is Ranma

Yes, I certainly agree that having Mousse around makes for better plot.

>is that guys don't fight all out against girls.  Ranma would rather run
>away than fight Shampoo, and he makes comments to that point to Akane,
>about guys holding back against girls.  Mousse fights with various edged

Ranma didn't hold out against Herb at all, even when he thought Herb was
a girl.  (Admittedly, Ranma was female at the time.)

>objects, chains, and ducky toilet, among others.  If Mousse did fight all
>out, there'll be one tattered Shampoo at the end.  And given Mousse's

Mousse's arsenal is ludicrous enough to defy credibility.  But I think
there's more quack than bite there: edged weapons don't really do much
damage in the series, and Mousse relies much more on surprise than on
weapon ability.  Shampoo is fast enough to deflect Mousse's weapons,
especially since she knows about most of them.

>love for Shampoo, I don't think that's a viable option.  Shampoo on the
>other hand has no such prohibition.  Besides, I think Mousse is one of
>those simpering masochistic love-stricken idiots.  For reference, check
>out Scarlet Letter and how the main characters just suck up misery after
>misery without complaint.

We seem to agree that Mousse will never defeat Shampoo.  I guess we're
arguing over whether Mousse would win if he went all out.

--
   -- Wei-Hwa Huang (whuang@cco.caltech.edu)
Homepage (under construction): http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~whuang/

Search field Search string