Re: Help!

to ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from C h a e <paladine@p.imap.itd.umich.edu>
subject Re: Help!
date Sun, 1 Oct 1995 13:07:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 1 Oct 1995 Xur@aol.com wrote:

> Again, I disagree.  There have been several court cases that have come about
> because people rent prerecorded tapes and re-record for their own viewing.

	Please cite those cases and I'll look them up with Westlaw.  I
doubt the holdings were that simplistic.

>  Federal courts have deemed this is NOT illegal since the re-recorder has no
> intention of making money off of the duped copies.  Some of the FBI warnings
> have been updated to include the phrase "any re-recorder beyond personal,
> non-profit use..."

	If such words were used, then it applies to that specific tape,
_nothing_ more.  To my knowledge, there is no common law or federal
statute that allow backup copying.  You can make backups of software
because the software license on the sealed pack that contains the
diskettee/CD-ROM specifically allows that. In absence of such release, it
would be inadvisable in strictly legal sense to make such copies.  Of
course, just about every software companies allow you to make copies.

	There is no _way_ video/movie industry will take a federal 'make
home use copy as long as it's not for sale' statute or ruling lying
down.  For one thing, it's always advantageous for the industry to have
an objective guideline, and if there is anything you don't want to go to
a jury, this is it.  It had been a directed ruling before and no way
they'll give this up.  Secondly, there is no legal basis for allowing you
to make backup copies.  Simply said, the movie contained in the tape is
_not_ yours.  You don't have even the most miniscule property interest in
that movie.  It's not yours.  It's not yours.  And it's not yours.
Period.  So unless the copyright holder specifically releases you from
certain constraints, all you can do is watch it in a manner consistent to
home viewing.

	Again, I challenege your comment about there being 'several
federal cases.'

> Xur

						--C h a e

                 paladine@p.imap.itd.umich.edu,  chaean@hom.net
			  http://www.cris.com/~chaean
                 "I'm strangely attracted to Camille Paglia..."
                                "Is that wrong?"

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited