Re: does Mousse have a chance?

to mlist-ranma@nntp-server.caltech.edu
from whuang@cco.caltech.edu (Wei-Hwa Huang)
subject Re: does Mousse have a chance?
date 1 Oct 1995 13:24:18 GMT
C h a e <paladine@p.imap.itd.umich.edu> writes:
>	Mousse did fairly well against female Ranma, as Dr. Tofu pointed
>out.  Female Ranma fairly easily (implied since there is only one panel
>in manga) defeated Shampoo.  So take that as you will.  Maybe if Mousse
>goes all out against Shampoo, he might be able to defeat her.
>	The counter side of this is that the female Ranma's difficulty
>with Mousse can be attributed at least partially to his unfamiliarity
>with his/her reach in female form.  So while that doesn't completely
>invalidates my theory, it certainly does casts some doubt.

  Shampoo has been steadily
defeating Mousse since they were kids, so what makes you think that
Mousse has stopped trying?  If he could defeat Shampoo, he'd have done
it long ago.  I mean, he's practically a slave at the Nekohanten.  Why
torture himself like that if he could just defeat Shampoo once and win her
love and respect?

  As for comparing things with Ranma, Mousse had to win the first few
fights.  No one wants to read manga where the hero always wins.  But
you'll notice that this was (a) the first time Ranma ever fought Mousse
and his arsenal of secret weapons and (b) the first time Ranma ever
fought seriously as a female against a male.  Inexperience was with Ranma.
There's no way the current Mousse could even approach the current Ranma,
unless by surprise, and then Ranma will probably prevail anyway (virtue
of being the main character).  In short, I don't think claiming that
Mousse basically was winning his first fight with Ranma was fair game
for the argument.
--
   -- Wei-Hwa Huang (whuang@cco.caltech.edu)
Homepage (under construction): http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~whuang/