[ranma:96194] Re: Did Viz ever finish Ranma 1/2 manga, and some random thoughts

to <ranma@usagi.org>
from "Relic" <relic1980@ameritech.net>
subject [ranma:96194] Re: Did Viz ever finish Ranma 1/2 manga, and some random thoughts
date Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:11:30 -0400
----- Original Message -----
To: <ranma@usagi.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 12:55 AM
Subject: [ranma:96177] Re: Did Viz ever finish Ranma 1/2 manga, and some
random thoughts

> Ron:
> > I first caught the manga via Japanese scans, so I was overjoyed
> > when it was announced that it was coming out here in the US.
> > And unlike many manga (like Ranma, UY and probably IY included),
> > it had a very satisfying ending that actually was an ending (like MI).
>
> I'm beginning to think manga/anime is simply not capable of be good
> consistently..  Almost anything that tries to go on for a while eventually
> fails, unless it's something that can go on arbitrarily forever (Inuyasha
> for example).
>
> Azumanga Daioh could've been much longer, but it stopped early and
> that's why it's so enjoyable

It was a story simply about the core characters, and their trip from
freshmen to seniors (or from girls to young women...except
for Tomo ^_^). It didn't pretend to be earthshaking,
but was memorable in the right places nonetheless.
For some reason, that quality I find in another (though much longer manga
series),
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Very melancholy but keeps my attention
much like a sunset over a field of grass. It just feels good.

> > I have the entire Excel Saga set on DVD, and it was enjoyable, if
mindless
> > (which was some of the appeal; to sit back and let the TV drive for
awhile
> > ^_^).
>
> The anime seems to be too dependent on knowing specific jokes, like
> toward the end Nabeshin's 'fly away to the atmosphere' was a classic move
> from Saint Seiya, and the #1 overused move from that series in fan
circles.
> Not sure if it'd be as funny if you didn't know where it comes from.

I have seen that in other places (notably Project A-ko...until I saw Genma
Taisen (Harmageddon), I had absolutely no idea where the metallic Col.
Sanders
was coming from ^_^)..And Otaku no Video...man, a guy's head could
explode with all the references there. But those were short, not 26 episodes
long, so I can see where you're coming from.

> > But I must confess that I am liking the manga more, since there seems to
> > be
> > more
> > actual characterization here (sometimes Excel seems downright
> > symphathetic),
> > and none of that "Princess from Mars" stuph; However, I am wondering how
> > the English translation will change now that Dan Kanemitsu is not
> > translating,
> > and Carl Horn is at Dark Horse.
>
> I never found the manga.  Saw it at a few time while going across a
> bookstore in the rental section but never find it again.  It's like Here
is
> Greenwood, only saw it once while browsing aimlessly in the rental
section.
> I'm pretty sure it's not sold anymore, at least in the bookstores I go to.

Sasuga stocks the Japanese editions (I found vol. 11 at their stand at
Ohayocon
2004. and ordered vol. 10 from their website); I get the English editions
at the local Waldenbooks (just picked up volume 6 a week or so ago).
Volume 4 is where it seems to hit home that there is something behind
Excel's seeming exuberance that isn't quite so sunny...but then, there
is an actual storyline going on in the manga.

> > It continued; I ordered Japanese volume 9, which Sasuga got in late last
> > month.
> > Viz released vol. 8 as a paperback late April or so (I picked it up,
even
> > tho' I
> > had read the stories in Shonen A(ce) and now have the Japanese release.
> > Some interesting stuff going down, making me like this more than the
anime
> > (which is still one of my favorites...).
>
> Maybe I'll pick up it next time on rental then.  I don't really like
> Eva the Anime at all, but it had a lot of interesting premises.  I liked
> Asuka a lot, too bad there wasn't much development on her... or anyone
else,
> for that matter, since the Eva anime is pretty caught up in the whole
> instrumentality thing as opposed to actually worrying about the
characters.

Then you'd love Volume 4 (dunno what it is with 4's), Asuka's intro in the
manga.
Let's just say that she comes in with guns ablazin ^_<.  But unless
something radical
happened in vol.9, then the ending that happened in End of Evangelion
and ep. 23 is going to be especially heartbreaking.

> > I had heard that ADV had the rights to the manga version of Nuku Nuku.
> > I am hoping that will include the first version, since I have never seen
> > that,
> > except for a copy at Ohayocon2003 that was going for 42 bucks.
> > And that is because I had heard that, to get the book out (Takada Yuzo
> > hadn't completed enough material to get it released in Tankobon format),
> > Moriyama Yuji had gotten some material in it. Not sure, just what I had
> > heard.
> > I read the Shonen A(ce) stories, and the artwork wasn't nearly as tight
as
> > his
> > usual work, but fun, nonetheless.
>
> I don't know if it's just because I'm jaded but not only do I not
> find much of interest in the new stuff, the old stuff doesn't look nearly
as
> interesting as I remembered them to be.
>
> Maybe there was never all that much interesting material to read or
> watch.

That reminds me of an issue of Comic Box which revolved around the
question, "Is Manga Dead?". I am not sure that something as varied
as manga could truly fall over and die, but much like the American
comics market, could sorely use a swift kick in the ass at this point.

> Don
> "We are not related by blood, and yet you're still my brother, Shirou.
> Protecting my big brother is my duty, is it not?"
> Perfect Ilya, Fate Stay Night
>
> ---

As usual, this is The Relic from the outer fringes of the Reality that is
the Ranma ML...

Visit The Home Of The Relic!
http://clik.to/relic
Anime Images, FS/FT Lists and also