[ranma:96189] Re: My Goodness... (Was: Re: Did Viz ever finish...)

to ranma@usagi.org
from Michael Haney <zorchhaney@yahoo.com>
subject [ranma:96189] Re: My Goodness... (Was: Re: Did Viz ever finish...)
date Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
--- Don Wang <donwang@ucla.edu> wrote:
> 	I don't really believe in nostalgia.  Things I have
> truly enjoyed is
> still enjoyable now, and Ranma isn't, and I don't
> think it was ever that
> great to begin with.  I think this is because Ranma
> literally jumps all over
> the place in terms of both content and quality.
> Some stories are really
> good, some are so-so, and some really aren't worth
> the cost you spend on the
> book.  If you can compress all the good moments of
> Ranma 1/2 into a few
> volumes, it'd be a great series.  But too much
> filler stuff exists to
> detract from the overall value of the series.
----------

This is not intended as a flame, so don't treat it
like one.  You're posts seem to me to represent that
you are a person who is very hard to impress, and it
takes an extra ordinary effort to satisfy you.  That
is my observation.  I know a guy like that and its
hard for him to get enjoyment out of movies and TV
shows because of it.

----------
> 	Wow, Knights of the True Fiancee... that goes way
> back...
>
> 	I think Ranma and Akane would be a lot more
> interesting if they're
> not engaged.  They're still going to fall in love,
> but without the baggage
> of an arranged marriage.  Ranma isn't going to be
> all that different, since
> he's a pretty 1-D character, but Akane can be pretty
> interesting when
> interacting with people whom she considered as just
> friends.
----------

Uh, I run into them from time to time.  A majority of
the KOTF usually come off as loud mouth, opinionated
baka who cannot explain to you the reasons behind
their strike views other than the same old lame
explanation that "its not canon".  In the world of fan
fiction staying in canon is important "partially" to
keep the characters in-character, but also fan fiction
is a way to explore other avenues as well.  So lets
say Ranma didn't get engaged to Akane at the beginning
of the manga.  What if it was Nabiki or Kasumi, or
what if he became involved with them somewhere in the
story for some odd reason or another that can
logically be explained.  I've had wierd reviews from
KOTF grouch about this and that and I wonder if they
even bothered to pay attention to the story which
clearly gives reasons why this or that happened.

I have discovered though that Ranma+Kasumi fics are
EXTRAORDINARILY popular.  I'm writing one and I have
readers begging me to post updates as soon as
possible.  Its called "A New Direction Taken" if you
are interested.

====
--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney