[ranma:96183] Re: My Goodness... (Was: Re: Did Viz ever finish...)

to ranma@usagi.org
from Michael Haney <zorchhaney@yahoo.com>
subject [ranma:96183] Re: My Goodness... (Was: Re: Did Viz ever finish...)
date Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:36:54 -0700 (PDT)
--- "pink@laura-chan.com" <pink@laura-chan.com> wrote:
> Well yes, there's a lot for the fans to work with.
> (Good) Fanfic writers are
> great at giving these characters more dimension, or
> simply emphasizing the parts
> of their personalities that are only implied and
> because of that Ranma
> fanfiction remains as some of my favorite fanfics to
> read.  I have yet to see
> anyone write a fanfic that is truly on the same vein
> as the original story,
> actually.  Not necessarily a good/bad thing.
----------

There is good fan fiction and there is bad fan
fiction.  How many classic anime series still have a
rather large community of fans writing fan fiction for
it?  Not many as I can see.  While Ranma 1/2 may not
be in the same category as the original Gundam,
Macross, or G-Force (not the original name for that
anime, I forgot what that was) but its still a classic
none the less.  It was born from the mind of Rumiko
Takahashi, the mind that created Inuyasha and before
Ranma there was Urusei Yatsura...a series that defined
the "Awkward in Love" anime/manga genre.

I write mostly Ranma 1/2 fan fiction, and I have many
more Ranma centric fics planned for the future after
my current batch are finished.  I use the manga as a
reference when studying the personality of a character
because you see so much more of it in Takahashi-san's
work.  The stories and situations are so much more
interesting in the manga rather than the anime which
deviated from the canon of the manga soon after the
first season.  I was disappointed that two very
powerful stoires from the manga were overlooked when
the anime and the movies were made.  These are the
Prince Herb and Saffron Sagas.  Ryogenwara, the forest
of giant animals made it into the OAV as did the
Tunnel of Lost Love, and the Vengeful Spirit Doll
story.  Sadly, the two most important moments that
changed Ranma and Akane's relationship were left out
of the animation altogether.

====
--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney