Re: the end?

to ranma@usagi.org
from Nyssia Otauku <knight_of_washu@yahoo.com>
subject Re: the end?
date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:12:18 -0700 (PDT)
--- yoru@mindspring.com wrote:
>  It's only natural for an ML, and a series' fanbase,
> to eventually reach the
> twilight of its lifecycle. With little new material
> entering the arena, all
> our pertinent topics have been debated, discussed,
> argued, beaten, kicked and
> otherwise flogged to death over the course of...
> what do we have now, 10
> years of running? There is nothing left to say.
>

>  I believe many of the regulars have either moved
> their primary interests
> elsewhere (as is with me), lost access to the e-mail
> accounts signed up here,
> or otherwise become disconnected with the community
> the ML represents. The ML
> has moved into the final phase of a fandom's
> lifecycle. We have a few
> die-hards clinging to the last shards of community,
> some old timers who
> occasionally peek in out of nostalgia or curiosity,
> and the rare fresh-faced
> newbie who has recently discovered the series and
> has yet to absorb all the
> material and information we've sifted over time and
> again during the ML's
> course.

It seems to be that way - and not only on this ML.  I
am a member of 5 ML's.  When I first joined back in
early 2001, I was getting *a lot* of messages - up to
400K worth.  Now, I am lucky to get 5 messages a day.

>  Mailing lists are also a rather archaic means of
> electronic communications -
> the modernized equivalent being the web-board
> bulletin board, and the ML's
> antiquated predecessor being USENET. Web boards are
> far more accessible to
> the majority of the internet population; you might
> have some success
> revivifying some segment of the ML population if
> someone set up a forum or
> three on a reliable server and announced it here.
>

> -- Yoru

...and even some of the web boards are dying
out...either the members move on or the boards get
viruses or get hacked.

I believe that ML's go in cycles;  right now, we are
in a low ebb.

Nyssia

Search field Search string

archive list