Re: Where is everyone?

to ranma@ML.usagi.org
from Albert Lunde <Albert-Lunde@northwestern.edu>
subject Re: Where is everyone?
date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:49:48 -0500
On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 08:37:34PM -0400, Relic wrote:
> I am still around, been dealing with the newer crush of back to school
> and (soon) Christmas merchandise coming into my dock at work.
> Been buying the Excel Saga DVDs (at Best Buy they are 19-22.99).
> I have seen FLCL, but it seems to be a coming-of-age story...
> the same way that Yamazaki Kazuo envisioned Urusei Yatsura
> movie 4 as a "coming-of-age" story...^_^. Yeah, it has it's...ah...moments
> (like in ep.4 the baseball/sex connotations), but I've seen worse.
> Azumanga Daioh, OTOH, I am eagerly waiting on, both the manga and the anime.

I've seen FLCL twice now at the local anime club, and I have to admit
that the urge hasn't yet come to me to watch it again: unlike, say,
KareKano or Azumanga Daioh, which I played over and over.

Of course, I have odd tastes: I liked To Heart, the anime, enough
to by the Japanese DVD set. My friend thinks it's about as exciting
as watching paint dry: I like it for the subtle, understated
romance, and the soft liquid background music.

I listen to the audio tracks of anime as I'm going to sleep
to distract my mind from serious stuff and poke more
random Japanese in my subconscious. So finding a series
that's got nice music and few loud action scenes is a plus.

FLCL has these outrageous images and a certian amount of parody
but it's really weak in the plot department and the characters
aren't especially sympathetic. Excel saga is better parody.

I got the Azumanga Daioh Japanese manga at acen this spring:
I can't read it (quickly), but I'm informed by a Japanese friend I lent
it to that it's pretty funny (She hadn't heard of it and was look for
a break from studying). I can see that they took scenes and
camera angles almost intact from the manga to the anime.

It's remarable they could adapt a four panel manga into
an anime, but they've doe a pretty faithful job. It's got little
direct plot, just following a half-dozen girls through high school,
but it _does_ have engaging characters. The first couple of
episodes are a bit annoying, but it gets better.

--
    Albert Lunde          Albert-Lunde@northwestern.edu (new address)
                          Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu (old address)

Search field Search string