Re: any more questions?

to <ranma@ml.usagi.org>
from "Relic" <relic1980@ameritech.net>
subject Re: any more questions?
date Wed, 2 Jul 2003 22:33:48 -0400
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kohaku, Brother of Sango" <hikaru_shidou1995@yahoo.com>
> I have some questions.
>
> 1) How did you discover Ranma 1/2?

Robert Guttierez's old Ranma Project fansubs (well beofre Viz got
the rights), around mid 1990

> 2) What language did you originally see Ranma 1/2 in?

Japanese, with English fansubbing.

> 3) What were your thoughts while watching Ranma 1/2 for the first time?

Pretty wacky stuff (I had read the first Viz translations of Urusei Yatsura,
so
I was a little bit acquainted with Takahashi'sensei's wackyness ^_^)

> 4) Did it make you wanna see other anime titles by Rumiko Takahashi?

At that time, the only place I had heard of any other anime featuring her
characters
was a very old (around 1983-84) hobby magazine that had an article on Anime,
and
mentioned Urusei Yatsura. Didn't have enough to go on.

> 5) How did you discover the Ranma 1/2 manga?

Had a short mention in Viz-In during a very early interview with
Takahashi-sensei concerning UY (the first series) where they mentioned it.
Soon afterward started getting Shonen Sunday where they ran it originally
(and where
I first heard of the existence of the UY widebans, which I ordered and also
got some of the early
Ranma tankobon).

> 6) What are your thoughts on the english version of the Ranma 1/2 manga?

I expected Viz to have problems with some of Takahashi-sensei's more
Japanseque jokes and references (note: reference books on Japanese
cultural aspects and myths and legends are VERY helpful if following
the original Japanese releases....), so I wasn't too surprised to see
Kuno Tatewaki's speech patterns change from superfluous Japanese to
superfluous
Shakesperean English. Gerard Jones' work on books like The Beaver Papers
and The Trouble With Girls (with co-writer Will Jacobs) served him well with
his dialogue
on Ranma and UY, but proved more than capable with Maison as well.
So within the limitations of transliterating Japanese into English, the
translators
and Jones are quite good. (As long as I don't see anything like "Sidekick
Wave" or something
of THAT magnitude ^_^ (3 points for the one who guesses what that reference
pertains to!)

As usual, this is The Relic, from the outer fringes of the Reality
that is the Ranma ML....(and currently enjoying the Evangelion manga set
I got in the mail yesterday...IMO, better than the anime!)

> That's all the questions I could think of, have at it, and I'll reply
> tomorrow possibly.
>

> Ranma
>

> --0-564654733-1057197886=:23973

Search field Search string