Re: ranma ML 6 hour matome okuri

to ranma@ML.usagi.org
from Lavender Gaia <lavendergaia@yahoo.com>
subject Re: ranma ML 6 hour matome okuri
date Tue, 4 Mar 2003 04:40:29 -0800 (PST)
--0-2037525563-1046781629=:97800

Some people have spell the names with u's after the o's. Like Ryouga and
Ukyou. I've also seen them after u's as well, such as Tofuu. It really
depends on what translation you are working from.

 Igor Meerovich <lpmeerov@wicc.weizmann.ac.il> wrote:> Albert Lunde wrote:

> > Could anybody clarify for me whether his name should be pronounced with
"ou"

> > (as two syllables) or with long "o" ?
>
> Long "o". The combination "ou" is one of the conventional ways
> of writing long "o" in romanized Japanese. Since the more technically
> "correct" romanizations use non-ASCII characters to put a mark above
> the vowel, you see "ou" used a lot in e-mail.

The problem is, that I've also seen this name written as "Souun"...

Igor

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited