Re: misconceived notions

to ranma@ml.usagi.org
from RJeffD@aol.com
subject Re: misconceived notions
date Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:47:52 EST

In a message dated 1/2/2003 1:07:37 PM Mountain Standard Time,
hiroshin-ken@juno.com writes:

> .. On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:46:48(EST) RJeffD writes:
> -----
> Never forget Viz...  and the random stuff picked up by Meida Blasters,
> Synch
> Point, Funimation,  Right Stuf.  ^_^;
>
> -----
>
>    I'm not forgetting about them, but it just seems like _most_ of the
> titles being picked up are getting picked up by either Pioneer and ADV.
> And
> didn't Pioneer and Viz do some kind of merger?  I see a lot of Pioneer
> advertisements on Viz "titles", and vice versa.

Just for some distribution purposes, although I don't remember all the
details on that.

> -----
> It's funny through and through... very faithful to the manga from what I'm
> aware of.
>
> -----
>
>    Very good, then!  I we all won't be disappointed, then.  I've got to
> find the manga from somewhere, though...  What publisher publishes it
> States-wide?

I'm only aware of it in Japanese... I have friends who have read the manga
and seen the anime - they are the ones who were impressed with the transtion
from manga to anime.

> ------
>   Take Trigun for reference.  If you've only seen the first few episodes,
> it's hilarious, but after the first few episodes the comedy factor drops
> more
> than a little.
>
> >----
> That's because it's supposed to be are serious series with comedic elements
>
> to it...  much like City Hunter... ^_^;
>
> ------
>
>    Well, coming from it on a standpoint that I had no idea of what the
> series was when I first saw the first few eps, it was a little shocking.  I
>
> still loved it, but upon laughing at the first few eps I was under the
> misconception that the whole series would be as such.

I can see that... a lot of people seemed to feel that way actually, so you
are not alone there.

> ------
>   All that said, it reminds us not to "judge" an anime by its first few
> episodes.  What may come afterwards may be quite different from what you
> first saw.
>
> >----
> Very true... that's why I usually try to see the first 8 episodes of a
> series
> before deciding most of the time... although some I like right off and it
> stays that way ^_^;
>
> ------
>
>   Unfortunately, at many anime conventions, they don't usually go that far
> into the series.  It's usually only the first four or five.  And, for me,
> renting anime has been quite difficult.  I don't exactly have a very
> dependable source.

That's true enough, I've been to many conventions.  As far as renting anime,
it's kinda hard to reccomend anything.  Actually, being on Netflix, they do
have anime DVD's to rent, so that might be an option... a lot of comic book
stores seem to be carrying Anime as well now, so that may be an option for
you as well.  Sometimes it's just a matter of looking in the right places
^_^;

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited