Re: Martial Arts

to ranma@ml.usagi.org
from Wizard3576@aol.com
subject Re: Martial Arts
date Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:27:26 EST

In a message dated 11/2/2002 3:34:58 PM Central Standard Time,
wonganan@yahoo.com writes:

> McFarland-san is 100% correct in his explanation.
> And, I kinda took a small offense to that comment (Wiz
> not considering weapons a form of martial arts).  I'm
> a beginner learning to fight South Shaolin style and I
> have to learn at least two sets(kata, whatever) before
> I can even TOUCH any of the weapons.  And I'm looking
> forward to the day my master says I'm fit for a
> weapon, so, saying that isn't a martial arts is
> kinda....... not so good.

OOOO! good your learning southern shaolin, so am I. What I said was kendo was
not a martial art because it only uses swords. Shaolin teaches weapons as
part of the martial art, but it is also heavyily unarmed combat. Weapons are
cool, fun to use, and difficult. I had to get to my third sash before I could
touch a weapon, and those were just the simple ones like the guan and suian
su guan.(equivalant of escrima sticks but a bit bigger I think) I just
believe that if weapons are included in the fighting it can be part of the
martial art, but soley weapons arent one. thats just my opinion and Im sorry
you people dont agree with me. I mean hell, if we could carry swords in day
to day life, learning something like kendo would be great! It would have a
purpose to so you could attack/defend against other people or whatever. But
we cant and it has no real purpose other than to fight like a sport. I
suppose you could use it with a knife....but I dont think it would be the
same.
Again this is my opinion, you all have yours, I have mine. Im not bitching at
you for what you believe and I expect the same. Im not trashing Kendo or
other sword-only arts, just saying I dont consider them a martial art. Now
dont hold some grudge against me, I like you people!

Wiz

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited