dvd sets

to ranma@ml.usagi.org
from "d..." <d@techno.ca>
subject dvd sets
date Tue, 21 May 2002 18:28:30 -0400
At 10:07 AM 5/21/02 -0600, you wrote:

> > I'm a little behind--I still need to get season 2.
>
>Season 1 is on its way, the cash for season 2 is in my wallet waiting for me
>to meet the fellow... I've already got the OVA Box set (And the laserdisc
>releases of the first four OAVs, plus an original Japanese laserdisc of the
>DOCO music videos...)

hi all!

nice to see some traffic here again!

i ordered season two-anything goes martial arts dvd box from
dvdplanet.com it was on sale for $79.99 usd and with shipping
it was under $85.

the season one box is very good.  quality is good in terms of
picture and sound.  the subtitles are removable and the language
audio track is japanese or english (switchable).  the dub and subtitles are
decent translations from the original japanese,  the extras are
just clean credit animation sequences without text.

> > I've kinda given up on season 6 and 7, as Viz is going the 3
> > episode route.
> >

>*Sigh* I have to pick them up, though, because I agree with Brad - Unlikely
>to be remade as boxes.

such a rip off!  i wonder if viz would just repackage the stuff from seasons
6 and 7 into boxes that are better value for our money.  i sure hope they
do something to make it better than one dvd with 3 episodes.

> > I'm not happy about how lazy Viz is with the boxsets, either--they
> > appear to be using the dub masters, with the hard subs, but it is
> > priced better.
>
>I hope you mean that they're doing the same thing as with the OAV dvds -
>hard subbing things like Genma's signs, etc. They're not hard subbing the
>dialogue, right? I really hope not - that'd almost be grounds NOT to buy the
>DVDs. (But of course, how would they do the dub track...) If its just the
>signs, etc, then its annoying, but not fatal.

the dialog subs are removable but the signs are still hard subbed similar to
the OAV set.

overall i think the whole thing is a nice package when it comes as a season
set.
i live in canada and to buy it in the stores here the prices were totally
nuts.
the season one box was $147.99 cdn.  that's about 100 usd.  at dvdplanet.com
i got it for $64.99 usd.  the season two box which has 5 dvds would have been
$187.99 at the cheapest place and it got it for 85 usd. (about 130 canadian
dollars)

when i got into ranma i first saw the oav episodes and until the dvds came out
i never bought the vhs tapes because they were expensive.  i like the fact that
when you show ranma 1/2 dvds to people who have never seen it before they
can choose
if they want the original japanese with the english titles or just the
english dub.

i am really excited to be getting into season 2.  i really enjoyed seeing
season
1 for the first time and am now totally hooked.  i would buy box sets but i
don't
think i can pay the prices for the individual dvds.

i sure hope that the newfound energy in the list goes on for awhile!

derek...

>Kahm

Search field Search string

archive list