Re: Mahoromatic

to ranma@ml.usagi.org
from RJeffD@aol.com
subject Re: Mahoromatic
date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:20:03 EST

In a message dated 12/13/01 3:14:17 AM Mountain Standard Time, Don Wang
writes:

> Ron D:
> > Yes, I've been watching this one as well, I've seen the first 6 episodes
> so
> > far and have really enjoyed it was well, although I'd hardly say that
> it's
>
>     I've seen up to episode 10, though I didn't actually watch them in
> detail.
>
> > generic mecha girl prototype.  Fact of the matter is, we haven't seen a
> whole
> > lot yet in regards to anything other than it goes in a couple of
> different
> > directions than I was expecting.  The idea is that she can break free
> from
> > the stereotype, and in many ways, IMO, Gainax is responsible for creating
> the
> > stereotype in the first place ^_^  And I think they are doing that... for
> > instance
>
>     Well, Mahoromatic is borderline porn... ever seen the cover for the
> manga?

I'd have to agree with you on this one... I'm just sick of the older teacher/
bigger breast thing overall... that has grown a little tired and probably
isn't going away anytime soon...

> > One thing that I find interesting is the way that conflict is being
> created.
> > For instance, we find out that she killed Misato's father in the line of
> duty
> > if you will - now although it would seem like a set up for what could be
> > generic plot hole, the fact of the matter is that the interaction between
> the
> > two characters has become fairly well developed here and knowing gainax,
> the
> > story, and the way that this issue is going to be handled will make this
> show
> > anything besides typical.  Let's not forget that he doesn't know about
> her
> > expiration date either... this could very well wind up being one of the
> most
> > bittersweet series we have seen in a very long time.
>
>     I think the fact that you know Mahoro's going to die from the get-go is
> what makes the series interesting to me, even though I don't really like
> the
> content.  I like Mahoro's design.  She's pretty cute and well-drawn, and
> the
> wing form actually looks cool.  I want to know how it's going to turn
> out...
> knowing Gainax, I think they will let her die as opposed to having a
> miracle
> happen and everyone lives happily thereafter.
>
>     Kind of reminds me of the ending of Gunbuster, the only other Gainax
> anime I liked (Kare Kano doesn't count because it's directly translated
> from
> the manga).

exactly my reaoning for it being a series that will become bittersweet....
main character falls in love with his android maid, and for whatever reason,
she falls in love with him, she dies...  I think that Gainax has scored here
pretty well in making you care about the plot and the characters, etc.  If it
wasn't for the excessive amounts of fanservice, I think I'd enjoy it more.
There really isn't anything wrong with a joke like that running for maybe one
or two eps, but it gets tired pretty quickly.  The only thing I have to say
positive on that, is it's kind of nice to see the 'slightly underdeveloped'
girl as the main heroine for once.  In that regards, she's cute, but not this
buxom girl that all you care about is the tighter and skimpier battle
outfits... ^_^

> Don

Ron Duncan
President - Residents of the Wired anime club

Proud supporter of breaking up all of Takahashi's great relationships - just
so I can take all the ladies for myself... ^_^ (and maybe a couple of
Tenchi's ladies too hehehe...)

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited