Re: ranma ML 1 hour matome okuri

to ranma@ML.usagi.org
from Colin Davis <cdavis@thepentagon.com>
subject Re: ranma ML 1 hour matome okuri
date Thu, 04 Oct 2001 22:04:00 -0400

>  Jonathan Rosebau  wrote:
>

>The general consensus that I've seen in fanfics is that body
>temperature is the deciding factor, though I don't know if it's
>"current" or "average" body temperature, nor if there's a range of a
>few degrees surrounding the body temperature where no change happens
>at all.

Good Evening. I'm new too. Lot of that going around, ne?
Regarding temp, How did the body-temp theory come about? Everyone should
have roughly the same body tempature, so I don't see where that would
come into play.
We've seen that high-end (boiling/steaming) water will work, although it
HURTS. This would imply that there is no upper bound to the water
temperature. (I think we all can agree on this. All hot water works)
So, Lowerbound-
 What's the warmest we've seen work? Obviously it doesn't have to be
boiling. He's usually doused with a tea kettle, but Sometimes that
kettle has been sitting around for a while (while he hangs from a tree,
or whatnot). I suspect that it needs to be some-what warmer than
room-temperature.

>>How much water does it take?  How fast is
>>it? What does it feel like?  How disorientating is it?  Stuff like this
>>

>Once again, some people seem to think it's instantaneous; one
>planck-second you're male, the next you're female. Others think it's
>pretty darn fast, but it still takes time, so you can feel the changes
>happen. As to amount, obviously the water vapor in the air doesn't
>trigger it. Some authors think a few drops can do it, while others
>want a more substantial amount.

Again, we can sett uppper and lower bounds.
We know that Rain can trigger it, but a Johnathan pointed out, water
vapor cannot.
I also seem to remember Ranma 'dodging' small amounts. But this may be
attributed to my fautly memory, or Ranma not knowing how much water it
takes either.

In the spirit of not wasting e-mail messages, I'll include my second
thought here.
I'm sure it's been discussed, but what if Ranma's curse happens because
he WANTS it to? Think the end of "the prisioner" or Qunatum Leap.

Ranma, a very male student, feels constrained with the work he must do
in his daily ritual. He's tired of always being the 'perfect son', but
his father would never let him out of it. When he is given the chance,
via the magic spring, to assume a new form, he is freed.
Several times in the series we see him take female form purposefully,
whether to win a contest, or escape, or whatnot. It is VERY convienent,
and allows him to express him more demure nature without losing honor.
In the amnesia incident, Ryan may have been testing the waters to the
idea of himself going more often in femine form. When he learned Akane
couldn't accept him this way, he changed back at the end of  episode.
Ranma likes in a much more honor based society than many of us. This
could have been the only way to lighten his load. (he's not expected to
be the heir if he's female. He's not expected to have to marry Akane, ect.)

Something to think about, anyway. I suspect I've just been eating too
many Frosted Sugar Bombs tonight ;)

Colin

Search field Search string

archive list