Re: ranma ML 1 hour matome okuri

to ranma@ml.usagi.org
from RJeffD@aol.com
subject Re: ranma ML 1 hour matome okuri
date Tue, 6 Feb 2001 01:05:11 EST
--part1_96.faf575d.27b0ee17_boundary

In a message dated 2/5/01 10:17:17 PM Mountain Standard Time,
ami@ML.usagi.org writes:

> As who, you ask? Well, here's my list:
> 1) Ryoga
> 2) Spike, of Cowboy Bebop fame
> 3) Ranma
> 4) Sephiroth
> 5) Kuno
> 6) Wolfwood, of Trigun fame
>
> And here's my problem...
> WHERE THE BLOODY HELL DO YOU BUY COSPLAY ITEMS?!
> Searching the net reveals nothing but idiots who think
> I care about what costume they wore to Project A-Kon
> and whatnot (no offense to people who post their
> cosplay pics, of course ^_^;;). I need to get either a
> chinese shirt and pants (Ranma, duh), a Sephiroth
> costume, samurai robes and a bokken, or a black/blue
> leisure suit (possibly with a giant cross). I can't
> find ANY place that sells anime costumes...are there
> chains, web sites, etc, anything where I could get
> stuff?

Welcome to the budget otaku!  Actually, I went as Wolfwood to Nan Desu Kan
last year, had a blast.  The idea is that you get your costume together as
cheaply as possible.  Which basically means making your own.  Here is my
advice... go to thrift stores if you can  I made my giant cross by taking two
large cardboard boxes (hint: go by a target or walmart and ask them if you
can have any of the boxes from unpacking...sometimes they will help you.) and
cutting the cross piece and sliding it thorugh a long box that is slightly
wider.  We even made (a friend helped here) sliding panels on it and put toy
guns inside.  Also took a $1 can of spray paint and got it set up for
that...(painted the thing silver - also weighed the box with a couple of
bricks on the bottom) then (this was expensive.. ask to borrow one from
somebody if you can) I took a large with table cloth as the wrap.  Buy a
cheap pair of sunglasses and have a cigarette constantly dangling from your
mouth and there you go  (I also borrowed a suit and glued a couple of silver
crosses onto the sleeves)

The idea is to be creative really... use the stuff you have around you.  You
don't really buy your costumes for cosplay because that's just not a big
thing for costumes here in the U.S.  I also don't know of any sites that sell
anime costue items, so this is my advice for what it's worth.  Now if you are
going for competition in costuming... (this is much up to you,)  You may want
to go to con sites and get ideas, and even see if you can ask those who have
costumed up what they did, esp. if you see something you really liked.  But
if it's just for fun  (which is what I do) then don't worry too much about it
and feel free to make and create.

Spike's may be easy... just find a similiar looking suit... don't worry so
much about the color, you can always use Rit dye.

> Oh, and by the way...
> Our beloved Happosai-ish drunken fighting old guy is
> named Chin Genzai, not Shin Genzai.
>
> So c'mon people, who'd win in those matchups? Someone
> can at least answer the Spike/Ranma query.
>
> Outta here!
> -Bard
>
> "VIVA LA HENTAI!"

Bleh... I find hentai distasteful myself.... but that's just not my bag baby!
 Yeah!

--part1_96.faf575d.27b0ee17_boundary

Search field Search string

archive list