MR

to ML <ranma@ML.usagi.org>
from Nothing But Hotnit <hotnit@acsu.buffalo.edu>
subject MR
date Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:42:16 -0400 (EDT)
Teluete writes:

>So why can't we use some politeness aimed at bettering the environment
>of the ML?  I can take criticism, but that doesn't mean I have to.  And
>criticism phrased decently does a hell of a lot more good than phrase
>the way some might want it. Just because it's milder than you've seen
>elsewhere doesn't make it right, or the best way to do something.  If
>someone's been around a long time and should know better, then fine, be
>harsh, but if they don't know there's no call for anything other than
>politeness, no matter how it is elsewhere.  So what if that's not how it
>is in real life, or on the net usually.  Maybe it should be, and
>anywhere where we can introduce a little common courtesy should be
>taken.

Well the mental workings behind this are basically:

Terror works a lot better than kindness on new people because they are
already scared entering a new social setting in the first place.
Especially on the internet where people are just screenames and e-mail
adresses anyway. Anyway the person feels that the entire ruling caste is
out to crucify him/her for their transgressions and either exits or
conforms to whatever is deemd appropriate behavior. Either way the
authority figure's goal  is reached. This instilling of fear in the
new person is greatly magnified when other higher rankers chime in with
support and adulation for this display of authoritarian might and
conversly significantly undermined when a higher ranker of comparable ML
rank disagrees with the new person's treatment for whatever it is they did
to raise the ire of one of the cool kids, rulers, vets, or whatever label
you want to use to describe the "idols" of a societal group. But since
idol figures tend to be extremely loyal and clannish. This could either be
because of a friendship or the risk of losing standing in the group by
siding outside of the group. So dissent is rare and support for a fellow
member of the groups actions is often unilateraly supported whether or not
it's actually justified. So with no real motivations to be nice to this
new person that dares to do whatever they did, which may or may not have
actually been wrong or against any policy but who cares since it pissed
off or annoyed you, why be nice when you can just throw some weight
around? I mean what's the fun of status if you can't use it to kick around
people beneath you, have a few laughs at the abusee's expense, or tag team
rp decapitating them with the other Knights and Knightettes of the
Roundtable?  I mean really...what are you??? "Nice" or sumthin'? Carin'
about people's feelings and stuff.

Anywho that's why you find rudeness to newcomers rampant on internet
forums. No real reward for being nice and no or some benefit gained from
being rude but whether some or no there really is no consequence for it
like in the real world.
--------------------------------------

Stiffanie:

>But then, it's for certain that people who use weapons depend highly on
>these weapons, and when they lose it, they lose much of their chances
>for winning, because you've allowed yourself to become *too* dependent
>on it.

True. But it can be said that those who don't use them are limiting
themselves. the problem is that it seems like you're saying weapon use is
some kind of weakness when in fact the person with the weapon always has
the advantage. Sure if you lose your weapon you're screwed, but if you
don't you're not so the whole "being too dependent" thing runs in a big
hypothetical circle revolving around the weapon user losing their weapon
and being totally incompetent in that case, ignoring their proficiency
*with* the weapon and the fact that they *have* the weapon or weapons.

>I'm sorry, but somehow I don't consider it as a martial art like kendo,
>kempo, or whatever.  I'm not very familiar with the different forms of
>martial arts.

Well it's Ranma. It's exactly a documentary on martial arts. You have to
understand that "The School of Indescriminate Grappling" as I heard
someone quote it is no more or less valid a style then Martial Arts Figure
Skating or Martial Arts Rythmic Gymnastics. You completely ignore the
combat involved and talk about Kodachi like she just works out on the
pommel horse all day.

>Somehow I think of it more as a "gymnastics" rather than a "martial
>arts".  But then again, that's just me, and you don't have to listen to
>me if you don't wanna.

It's a competetive martial art based on Rythmic Gymnastics. What's there
to think about?

>OK, let me put it this way.  Kodachi is a gymnast first and foremost, a
>martial artist second.  Still a martial artist, of course, but she
>focuses more on gymnastics.

Martial Arts Rytmhic Gymnast who uses athleticism and various modified
rythmic gymnastic tools as her weapons. Stop trying to make her out to be
Mary Lou Rettin already!

>Akane's a martial artist, and best of all, she specializes in
>"anything-goes" which basically means she should be able to adapt to any
>style.

No offense, but Soun really hasn't been keeping up his half of the heir
training if you get my drift.Basically what you're saying is that one ting
is more of a Martial Art than the other and that's not true. Martial Art
has one definition and anything that fits it is a martial art and it's
practitioner a martial artist.

>Akane learned martial arts rhythmic gymnastics and was good at it, until
>she tripped on her own ball.  So what does that make her?  A gymnast!

It makes her a clutz and a lousy martial arts rythmic gymnast with about
as much awareness as Stevie Wonder. And I don't know many "gymnasts"
that use clubs as projectiles and use ribbons for binding and trapping.

>OK, I'm rambling.  You don't have to listen to me, I'm not making much
>sense today, not even to myself.  Long 12-hour shifts in work can do
>that to a person, ya know.

Well I suppose everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint *grabs
Stiffanie by the ankles and shakes her up and down* SAY KODACHI'S A
MARTIAL ARTIST! SAY IT! SAY IT!!!!

>Exactly.  I don't consider "martial arts rhythmic gymnastics" a martial
>art, so I don't consider Kodachi a real martial artist.  Gymnast, sure.
>Really good, really cunning gymnast, but not M.A.  But in the
>Ranma-verse it *is* a martial art, and that makes Kodachi a M.A.

Well I guess that's close enough. I mean if I couldn't convince you Ranma
was the spawn of satan I don't think I'll succeed here.

>But assuredly, he would have beaten her a lot quicker if he hadn't had
>P-chan tied to his arm, he wasn't restricted to the rules, and he hadn't
>been a girl at the time. But of course, with Ranma's aversion to
>fighting girls in his male form, who knows? ^_^

I notice how *everyone* ignores the fact that is Kodachi turned both Ranma
and Ryoga into their true forms during that match and in fact would have
won the match right here and then if Akane hadn't saved Ranma
pigtailed buttocks. But that aside I'm sure Ranma could defeat Kodachi in
combat much like...uh, everyone else in the series. If that means
anything. I just say that she was one of his more challenging opponents
unlike other characters who he routinely hands their butts too giftwrapped
and with a "From Ranma with love" card.
-----------------

Vigil:

>1. After Ranma defeats Mousse, with Shampoo's
>assistance, She changes him to the duck form, and
>holds him in her arms. then she says "Stuupid Mousse"
>with this sadd look on her face. Gravy!! Wish I were
>him!
<snip>

No no that wasn't me that was Shinobu. I'm incapable of being in any way
shape or form cool, using creative slang like "It's all gravy", or
consuming any food more exciting than mayo on white.
-------------------

Shinobu:

>Word?!? What's goin down with that?

I don't think he had time to run it anymore and didn't have anyone he
wanted to turn it over to so he just closed it down. I think there are
other Bujinkan schools there operating but not directly affiliated with
him. But I'm not sure.

>I gotta get ahold of our Brothers and Sisters in Ohio to get the dizzert!

Yeah, and shoot some that dilly over this way if you find out something
because like I said I don't know for sure.

>What's your Shidoshi's name?

Aww geez. I'd hate to post his name on the internet but his name is on
that page link I sent my last post. *hint*hint*

>No doubt! I just LOVE the Omote gyaku wrist twists and
>the "Poppers", those nerve attacks to the Chest,
>Thighs or Ribcage!! Let's ya know you're alive,
>YaKnowMean?!

I don't know half the time I wish teh teach will finish me off so I don't
have to deal with the pain. ^_^

>I feel like Ranma is an embodiment of the Ninpo, cos
>he uses any and all tactics to win.

Yup! I thought about that too. But mostly I just thought about what
elements the characters most represented. I thought Ranma was very wind,
with his fondness for just getting out of the way without actually
attacking but when he's pissed he goes into fire mode, and when he does
some reaaaaaal ill shiznit I usually think void.

>For a master Ninja, it doesn't matter if you have a
>No. 2 pencil or a Hanbo staff, it's all the same
>movements and principals.

Oh damn! I got hit with pen in class the other week! Ouch!!!! Damn that
hurt! Right in that ribcage you were talking about!

>Ranma and Co don't fight. They just do. Especially Ranma and his
>"perfect arm-body bone alignment" punches!! That's Ninjutsu!!

Well look at what the founder's uniform is! Happosai is basically just a
panty jacking ninja anyway. And I could have sworn there was some kind of
"How to make woman fall in love with you scroll" in Bujinkan too.
------------------

Emma-Chan:

>Umm... One question, quite out of topic..
>Does anyone here study any form of martial arts?
>Just wondering.. I study Tai-Chi (HARD!!!)

You go girl! If you put in the time and effort Tai-Chi can be a very good
form of self protection and it's good for physical and mental health too.
I study Karate and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs