Re: Viz, Otaku

to <ranma@ML.usagi.org>
from "Hiroe" <hiroe@otakux.com>
subject Re: Viz, Otaku
date Thu, 2 Mar 2000 04:51:04 -0500
> From: FriTzsama:
> Yes. . . yes we did.  -_-
>
> For you see, most of the vets are like myself. . . lurking, waiting
> for some kind of interesting topic . . or perhaps we're just bored
> with the current conversations.  A lot of us are still subscribed
> but we rarely post.

That sounds about right, actually. That, and lack of time is another big
contributor to low postings. (At least on my behalf.)

Bradster:
>About the anti-Viz stuff, what can I say, since you know I agree with you?
Viz
>still thinks it's 1992 and they're the only game in town.  Didn't someone
here
>even experience their fan-snubbing firsthand with something that ended up
>essentially as "Go to hell, we're Viz?"

That would have been me, actually.
At one of the conventions a few years back, we (friends and I) tried to
approach viz with specific questions/suggestions, and were pretty much
handed that very response. Much to our chagrin.

>I think their main problem is overextension- too many series, too many
>magazines, too much anime to handle.

I think their main problem is too many people, employed by them,  who lack
clue empowerment.

Re: starting your own company......... friends of mine, and I, are
seriously considering that very option......with the primary goals of low
prices, and Customer Satisfaction. Tips, anyone?

I hate quite a few of the companies. Does anyone here *Not* hate at least
one?

Dubs don't necessarily suck; that depends on the talent and money invested
in the work.

As for hating english, I don't. I see english as a thing of beauty,
actually. Total Chaos, out of which comes organized communication. I'm
thankful as hell that I grew up speaking it, for learning it later in life
would be an excercize in frustration. (How many of you appreciate how truly
f***ed up english really is?) Japanese is a cakewalk in comparison. Can you
correctly pronounce "ghoti", "Llewllyn", or "Bryn Mawr"? (Let's see you
write them in katakana, and convey the correct pronounciation.)

I'm not overweight, and I'm not 35.
do I still fit the definition of Otaku? (^_-)

Oh, and a shout out to Miyu, and Frank.

I had some other replies, but they can wait, seeing as how it's 4:47AM, and
I need to go job-trolling tomorrow.

--Hiroe

Manga Translation Archive:
http://www.otakux.com