Re:Shadow Polls

to ranma@ML.usagi.org
from Ronald Spillman <ron@netset.com>
subject Re:Shadow Polls
date Sun, 02 Jan 2000 22:52:01 -0500

> From: Shadow6865@aol.com
>

>         Actualy according to an article published in the NY Times on
> 12/31/99, roughly one-third of all Christains in the New York Metropolitan
> area (an area not exactly known for religious fundamentalism amoung people
> except Hasidic Jews) believe that Christ will return to Earth this year, many
> of them believed he would return on New Year's at midnight. Some of the stuff
> these people said in interviews was pretty crazy.

And polls generally mean little, especially if the question is skewed
juuuust a bit in the pollster's favor; Seriously, in this area (an area
fairly well-known for fundies), very few that I know of actually
bought into that. Let me tell you about polls; A number of months
ago, when the Poke'mon seizure thing happened, there was a poll
question on ABC's site asking if one believed that Japanese
animation was harmful. The final tally was unanimously No.
Why? Because someone leaked the poll to RAAM, and many
people on RAAM voted to make the results a little more
lopsided. The pollster's phraseology, meant to manipulate
by insinuation, was instead manipulated by anime fans. Polls
are very easily manipulated, by either side. So, suffice to say,
even tho' politicos seem to thrive on them, I don't put much stock
in polls.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited