Girl-girl vs. guy-guy

to ranma@ml.usagi.org
from Shadow6865@aol.com
subject Girl-girl vs. guy-guy
date Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:53:28 EST
Someone writes:

<<=====Reasons why girl-girl is more popular than guy-guy:
>1) Women have always been at liberty to express affection
>among themselves, and men have not.
>2) Women look better doubled up than men. More graceful, and
>all that.
>3) The majority of consumers of sexy entertainment are
>heterosexual men, who will be turned on by women having sex
>with each other but weirded out, if not outright grossed
>out, by men having sex with each other.
>4) There's just a flagrant double standard.>>

		1. Not true. Look at ancient Greek culture. It is extremly sexist but the
men were expected to form very close platonic relationships with each other
that bordered on homesexual relatiobships. A good anime example of this is
"Arcadia of My Youth" it is one of the most sexist anime movies I have ever
seen and it has a lot of close, platonic love relationships amound men that
are slightly homoerotic. A lot of old cultures like the Greeks thought in
terms of "Men had something really great going on until women came along and
ruined it."

		2. I really couldn't say. I have known only three lesbians in my life while
I do know a lot more Gay men.

		3. You mean Porn when you say "sexy entertainment, right? The porn industry
in the United States is mainly for heterosexual men. I heard about a study
where homophobic heterosexual men and unhomophobic heterosexual men were both
showed gay porn and had sensors on their organs to see who got larger
errections and the homophobic heterosexual men got larger errections. I think
that is interesting, don't you?

		4. Agreed if you notice it is trendy for Lesbian actors to be out of the
closet in Hollywood but not for Gay men to be out. It could seriously hurt a
man's career in Hollywood if he came out. Remember the shock people felt when
Rock Hudson died in 1985 due to AIDS, people were very suprised that he was
possibly Gay (which he was.)

		I actually think the whole Yoai industry in Japan is very fascinating
because it allows you to see and learn about Japanese culture and their ideas
towards sexuality, what is proper viewing for adolescents, and what they think
of female sexuality. A book called Millenium girls was published a few months
ago and it their was as a chapter by a Japanese woman whose name I forgot
called something like "Thearpy or Opression?: Japanese girls and the Yaoi
phenomenon." I really wanted to read the article but I did not feel like
getting the book.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited