Re: OVA/TV series releases

to ranma@ml.usagi.org
from "jimlazar@earthlink.net" <jimlazar@earthlink.net>
subject Re: OVA/TV series releases
date Wed, 31 Mar 1999 06:40:54 -0800
> From: Brad A Clark <bradster_one@fuse.net>

> About a week ago, I rented a dub version of the Contrary Jewel OAV from a
> local BB, and it really blew my mind, that an over-beared, long-haired,
> leaping gnome could be the star of a Hollywood movie!   Wait, that's not
> right... (and too obscure to be funny except a handful of old farts)
>
> Anyway, this tape must have been one of the original releases, because at
> the end of the video it flashed a screen showing what other Ranma anime was
> available: tapes 3 and 4 from the TV series weren't even released yet!
> Now, I can understand why they didn't bother to wait for Ukyou's intro,
> since she only has about 30 seconds of screen time- but apparently they
> released the Contrary Jewel OAV before the fans even knew who Shampoo was!
> Crazy.

Well, like many companies releasing Anime, Viz tested the market with the
higher quality Ranma (Movies/OVAs) first before embarking on the 161 TV
episodes (that they are now [finally] halfway to finishing). In fact, the
English voice actress for Girl Ranma changed early in the work (I think
for the second or third OVA tape) so you can kind of see which ones came
first. I don't have a list of their exact release order, but I think the
TV series started being released by Viz about the time the 2nd or 3rd OVA
was being released.

-=-
Jim Lazar

E-Mail - mailto:jimlazar@earthlink.net