Re: Scrambling for Wars (Colin)

to ranma@ML.usagi.org
from Ronald Spillman <ron@netset.com>
subject Re: Scrambling for Wars (Colin)
date Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:44:21 -0500

> From: Colin Keefe <keefe@ccn.yamanashi.ac.jp>
>

> The Relic with info on the Street Salute:
>
> > I've seen it a few times (my favorite would STILL be in Scramble Wars, where,

> > after passing Priss and the Motoslave in a cloud of dust, Sylia goes into Big

> > Head Mode and flips her off...)
>
> Holy shit!  And here I thought I was the only person to know that one... Love the

> Scramble Wars, but what is it, "Ten Little Gall Force"?  I could have done without

> that one, though the part with Sonoyan and the Catty bust was pretty damn funny...

I first heard about it before I saw it, when Animeigo released it some time ago
(under Super Deformed Double Feature, which also has 10 Little Gall Force
on it). Being a fan of the original Wacky Races (one of the few Hanna-
Barbera bright spots, IMO), I was intrigued, and then, after watching it
laughed out loud. Very good stuff. 10 Lil' Gall Force, I think would have
had more impact on people who REALLY dug the original Gall Force
Eternal Story (the sub, not that abomination of a dub (bleh)^_^),
tho' I did get a kick out of the Obaasan gags...and who can
resist, as you mention, Sonoyan's "Catttyyyyyy'" call?

> > by Yoshiaki Kawajiri (best known here for Demon City Shinjuku, Jubei Ninpucho

> > (I forgot the English name...)
>
> Hmm, I think Jubei Ninpucho is called Ninja Scroll.  Not bad, but I still don't

> see what all the fuss is about.  I really don't think it's as good as people seem

> to think it is.

It was nicely designed (a Kawajiri hallmark), but was a bit more graphic than
I would have liked (another Kawajiri hallmark ^_^). BTW, I won't
mention Lensman....(Tho' the other day I got a copy of Midnight Eye:
Goku in the mail; real ancient fansub, so ancient it's translation
was listed as being done by Michael House).

> > and a free copy of Otaku no Video (which I cherish to this day...)
>
> You know, I _still_ haven't seen that.  I've been on the AnimEigo LD preorder list

> forever, and I'm getting tired of waiting...  May have to get the tape after all.

A must-watch, if only to see, out of the hundreds (or so it seems) of in-jokes,
how many you recognise; And of course, there are the "Portrait of an
Otaku" live spots, including one by a "Shon Fernandez", whose name
is a combination of Shon Howell (the fur-meister) and Lea Hernandez,
who both helped run the USA branch of GenePro in the mid-late 80s.
I still get a kick out of it.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited