Re: Fanfiction

to ranma@ml.usagi.org
from "jimlazar@earthlink.net" <jimlazar@earthlink.net>
subject Re: Fanfiction
date Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:29:54 -0800
> From: Hotnit <hotnit@acsu.buffalo.edu>

> 3.  I don't think it's possible for a fanfiction writer to be as unbiased
> about the characters as the original creator.  The creator may like some
> characters more than others but still loves them all.  The jist(sp?) I'm
> getting is that FF writers biases come out in their work...

True. I admit I let my biases for certain characters show in my fanfics.
It's hard (or impossible) not to. But I try to keep them in character
when I can.

And the fact that I don't kill Kuno off at the start of every story is
proof that I can avoid expressing my deepest feelings about characters.
:) Not that I have anything Kuno as a character (he does serve as a
catalyst to keep the story moving along and keep Ranma and Akane apart),
but he just bugs the hell out of me personally. Must be because he
reminds me of my idiot older brother. Nope... no bias here :)

But... I have to disagree with the notion that Rumiko Takahashi doesn't
show biases towards certain characters.

In UY, she obviously took a liking to Lum after a while. Originally
Shinobu was very clearly in the lead for Ataru's heart, but then Lum
started taking center stage in that race and Shinobu started looking at
Mendo and others for love (in fact I suspect that Mendo was conceived
partly to draw Shinobu away from Ataru).

Also, she dropped Dr. Tofu from the managa... hardly a sign of her loving
all her characters equally.

No one is without biases... not even God him/herself. How else can you
explain Leonardo DeWhatshisface's popularity? (Just kidding-don't kill me
ladies).

> 6.  And finally, no pictures! Ack!!!  But picture good!!!  Me want
> picture!  Moving or still, make no difference!

Yes, but I can't draw people decently (stick people maybe). :)

-=-
Jim Lazar

E-Mail - mailto:jimlazar@earthlink.net
FanFiction - http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlazar/anime
-=-
   "Unit 01, Angel at eleven o'clock."
   "But it's only seven o'clock," Shinji quipped.
   The computer-controlled voice didn't find Shinji's joke funny, so the
AI program inserted ten Angels around Shinji's Unit 01. It didn't take
long for his Eva to be reduced to a pile of scrap metal and flesh.
-=-
Excerpt from Garden of EVA 0:3

Search field Search string

archive list