Re:Female deities in the Bible

to ranma@ML.usagi.org
from Ron <ron@netset.com>
subject Re:Female deities in the Bible
date Tue, 01 Dec 1998 23:23:38 -0500
> From: teleute <alroth@ucalgary.ca>
>

> Was there something I missed that implied this was about Christanity?  If
> there was, I missed it.  Anyway, the main religion I know with a primary
> female deity is paganism, in its various forms.

There was a female deity in the Bible (tho' in the pantheon was not
the chief deity) named Ashtoroth (not the one in Cutey Bunny,
mind yew... that one was a bit of a kink ^_^) who was a fertility
goddess.She was mentioned 3 times in the Bible (all in the
Old Testament). There is also mention of an Asherah, which is
a wooden symbol to a female deity, specifically the (Canaanite,
I think) goddess of the sea. Just addin' my two haypennies....

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs