Culture-fest! (and some stupidity) ^_^

to ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from "Kevin Lew -- 'The Lai-Lai Boy'" <kasumi@eden.com>
subject Culture-fest! (and some stupidity) ^_^
date Thu, 31 Aug 1995 21:53:35 -0500 (CDT)
> Subject: Re: Group replies (long)
> From: Hitoshi Doi <toshi@win.or.jp>
>
> Kevin writes:
> |
> | One question:  Japanese are obviously known to be very open about
> | nudity.  Mixed gender baths aren't particularly that "rare" in Japan.
>
> They are very rare.

Hmmm...  I guess that I was given misleading info, because the info I got
made it sound like you could get it even in hotels.

Here's what I don't understand then.  My Nihongo sensei is a true-blue
Nihonjin and she says that she finds nudity to be no big deal.  She still
takes baths with her family at home.  The concept of modesty implies that
there's something "dirty" about nudity.  I can understand this, but then,
WHY do they show so much of it in manga/anime?  Basically, if nudity *is*
a big deal, then why do cast members drop their clothes in even
kid-oriented stuff?

Another culture question:  I was told that you NEVER bring a rice bowl to
your face to scoop rice into your mouth directly.  Why does Ranma and the
others do this all the time?  Is it an inside joke, to show that Ranma
and company are total slobs?
   BTW, I learned today some Chinese vs. Japanese culture.
 -- "Harumaki" means "spring rolls" (egg rolls).  Chinese call them
spring rolls, too!  Believe it or not, the stuff in Chinese restaurants
isn't egg rolls, but spring rolls.  Egg rolls have, duh, egg in them.
 -- In Chinese culture, it's totally normal to eat with a bowl shoved in
your face (like how Ranma does).  This is taboo in Japanese culture.
 -- In Chinese culture, you eat soup with a soup spoon (we have a special
utensil for this, in fact).  If you drank soup straight from the bowl,
like the Japanese, you'd be considered insane.  (The Japanese would find
you insane for trying to eat soup with a spoon).

> | The rule of thumb is:  It's Bad Pooky to post all the time.
>
> There is nothing wrong with posting a lot, as long
> as it is something new (and correct).

I try to get the "new" part, at least.  ^o^

==========
> From: Kyle Matsumura <kylemats@hcc.Hawaii.Edu>
> Subject: Re: Group replies (long)
>
> On Wed, 30 Aug 1995, Kevin Lew -- 'The Lai-Lai Boy' wrote:

(Christmas Eve Traditions)
> Oh gee Kev, Thanks for sharing this particualr jewel of knowledge.
> -_-;;;

Hey, I just requoted what I read.

> This isn't the only one I saw addressed to Kev either...Kev is just a
> flame attractor.  [Tried to make a gasoline joke here but it didn't
> work]

Oh, well, that's because I post more than most people.  And I instigate
discussion like wildfire as my topics are so insane.

==========
> From: Eric 1/2 <erics@jna.com.au>
> Subject: Re: Group replies (long)
>
>   And I suppose they lose their virginity annually on Xmas Eve?!?! ^_^

Hohohoho.  You funny guy.  I wish that I didn't bring it up now.

I was just giving an example of how much I try to read every post
carefully (except fanfic discussion).  If you are on the Jpop ML, that was
buried knee deep in the "Gender War" on the ML right now.  How many of you
caught it?

>   You should see Keben when he does a core dump.
>   Just do it via private email 'cause it's messy.
> To trigger the dump - just email him a few choice words - such as :
>         O***** C*****

Do you know that at the Austin Anime-niacs Meeting, they had people
saying over and over again:  "O***** C*****, what a swell movie!!"  "I
can't wait for it to come out in the US!"  "I have the whole set at home!"

They were lucky I don't have an assualt rifle.  (^_^)

(I had a *terrific* rant about this, and I deleted it to avoid flames).

>         SM

That's almost too easy to bash on it.  Buying copies of fansubbed tapes is
immoral, but buying copies of illegal dubs is not.

>         "Ranma-chan" and "pregnant" in the same sentence

Ooohhh....  Another good one.  I like my original response:
   Didn't you look at the manga?  The girls have nothing below the waist,
just like a Barbie doll.  So Ranma couldn't get pregnant if she wanted.

--
     To live.  To die.  To be silly.  That is the way of the Otaku.
         kasumi@eden.com           (Ranma 1/2 Stupid Help Desk)

"I don't know what they are saying, but it's really sad...  *snif snif*"
 --Keben-kun, Dec. 1992, during the first showing of unsubbed Ano Hi Ni
Kaeritai.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited