FF7 (reply to Bradster)

to ranma@ML.usagi.org
from Sam <sbh24@student.canterbury.ac.nz>
subject FF7 (reply to Bradster)
date Tue, 02 Jun 1998 09:56:36 +1200
Bradster wrote:
>  I only intend to get FF7 because so many people are talking about it
>and I want to see what the fuss is- it strikes me as too much of a
>puzzle/thinking game for my tastes.  I prefer the 'see it-kill it' genre
>myself.
>
>FF7 might be a great RPG because you actually see your characters on the
>playing screen (instead of a portrait on a data bar) and it has good
>music, but ultimately it's no different than the countless other RPG's
>that have come before it- you have weak characters that you build up,
>you have spells to learn, you have puzzles to solve, and a quest to
>complete.  Except for the presentation/graphics it sounds rather
>standard.

OK, I personally couldn't care less about the game stats. I reviewed videos
games for the local paper while in high school (hell of a cool job for a
high school kid, huh? I got to play all the games, got all the machines
free, it rocked) and in the end got bored with PLAYING games.

I didn't buy FF7 (and a bloody Playstation) to "you have weak characters
that you build up, you have spells to learn, you have puzzles to solve" at
all. I personally would've liked the game better if there'd been much less
combat, wondering around, having to solve minor puzzles etc.

What I got out of FF7 was an experience. Characters one truly cared about.
You don't get that in computer games in general. I was totally distraught
at the end of Disc 1 when I lost "her". Really tore me apart. I was trying
to explain it to my father when he came over a few weeks ago. He was saying
that no matter how good a game, it could never compare to a book. I totally
disagreed. In a book your not part of event, you have no control. When
you've been controlling Cloud for 30 hours, and your relationship with
Aeris has been approaching something solid, and then she's taken away from
you in a really wrenching moment... you don't get that in books. You
haven't "been" that character for hours and hours, days and days.

I played FF7 for the plot, the charcaters, the interaction. The first true
"interactive movie". And I just *know* the PC version won't be the same.
Maybe it'll have better graphics. Maybe it'll be bigger. Maybe it'll be an
exact conversion. Whatever, it won't be the same. It'll be worse. No
stopping it.

Sorry, I hate PCs. They suck it big time.

--Sam
* Order of the Rose
* Tech Officer for the SCG
* Worshipper of Belldandy