What to show

to ranma@ML.usagi.org
from Sam <sbh24@student.canterbury.ac.nz>
subject What to show
date Mon, 01 Jun 1998 20:30:30 +1200
Arnold Kim wrote:
>Kender311:
>
>>                 If I were able to have an anime film festival in my high
>> school (Graduating in june, YEAH!!!) I would show.
>>
>>                      1. Ranma: Big Trouble in Nekoran,China
>>                      2. Akira (because it is the most well known anime)
>>                      3. Tenchi Muyo in love
>>                      4. Crying Freeman
>>                      5. Maison Ikkouku
>>                      6. 3x3 Eyes: Perfect Collection
>>                      7. Oh, my Goddes!
>>                      8. Vampire Princess, Miryu
>
>I would air:
>
>1) First few eps. of Ranma (ned to establish the characters)

It's easy to get, though a lot of people I've shown it too think it's too
"weird".

>2) Tenchi OAV vol. 1 (again, same thing)

Tenchi is so light it floats away of its own accord, but then again that
might be a plus. And I'm not knocking Tenchi, it's one of my favourites.

>3) Neon Genesis Evangelion, first few eps. (_amazing_ series)

THIS would have serious Western appeal. I'm still amazed that the Yanks and
Brits haven't deceided to push it big.

>4) Macross: Do You Remember Love? (the "Robotech" connection, plus it's a
>good
>movie to boot)

I've had a lot of difficulty getting people to see what the point is in
Macross, which is annoying because it's class stuff.

>5) Ghost in the Shell, Key the Metal Idol, or Armitage III (all
>intellectually
>stimulating sci fi, Well reviewed by movie critics in the case of GitS,
>famous
>VAing in Armitage IIII)

I'd go with Ghost in the Shell. It went down well with a lot of people
(despite its plot problems) for the same reason that Evangelion would. It'd
be nice if Shirou could do some more animation.

>6) Oh My Goddess! (Nice, warm-hearted anime that can be appreciated by adults)

Everyone I've shown it too has loved it. A real heart toucher. Mature but
loving, and in my opinion the most beautifully drawn, written and produced
ever.

>7) Beginning of Street FIghter II V (well, cuz it's Street Fighter)

I wouldn't. SF fans get a kick, but the problem with SF2V is, y'see, it's crap.

>8) Slayers (Just too damn funny not to)

Very entertaining. Another one that could quite easily get mainstream
Western appeal.

Gon might also be a minor hit, come to think of it.

--Sam
Worshipper of Belldandy

Search field Search string

archive list