timelines, responsibility and anime-only characters

to Ranma 1/2 ML <ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com>
from Chris Rijk <chris@ivision.co.uk>
subject timelines, responsibility and anime-only characters
date Sun, 31 Aug 1997 17:27:33 +0100 (BST)
On Sun, 31 Aug 1997, Brad A Clark wrote:
>We went over this (round and round and round) about 2-3 months ago, I
>think.  What is never cleared up is how close together the duel is to
>Ranma leaving for China.  If there was an ample period of time between
>the two, Ryoga could've come over to Ranma's house to haul him off to
>the lot again.  If Genma took Ranma out of the lot to go straight to
>China, he had no choice.

I would put the timeline as (and the Memorial Book agrees with me,
and btw, Viz could have made things a little clearer) this:
Spring of start-of-series:
Ranma and Ryouga begin 'high-school' (aged 15/16) - in Japan, the
school year starts in the Spring.
Durning summer term Ranma and Ryouga get to meet each other, and
near the end, Ryouga challenges Ranma to a duel - perhaps after
school breaks up for summer. Genma then takes Ranma off to China
for the rest of summer, showing up at the Tendo's shortly after
the autumn term begins.

btw, Japan has 3 terms per school year (like the UK), and the summer
holiday isn't as long as in the US - if it's the same as in the UK,
it'd be about 6-7 weeks.

It seems implied that Genma took Ranma to China, rather than Ranma
gave up on waiting for Ryouga.

>BTW- where do Ranma and Genma stay during Ranma's time in junior high,
>since Nodoka says she hasn't seen her son since they left all those
>years ago?  They're still in the same city, right?  Why didn't they
>visit Nodoka at all, even before the curse?

Well, we don't know when Genma was thinking of bringing Ranma back
home (if at all). I have no idea where they were staying at this time
- never explained, just that Ranma was living in some house.

>>And how can you say that when Ranma was directly responsible for Ryoga's
>>curse (by knocking him off a cliff), that Ranma isn't to blame?  I'd say
>>it's his fault in the entirety.  Ranma thinks so, too, because that's why
>>he can't tell Akane about P-Chan.
>
>I thought it was because the 'Warrior's Code' doesn't allow you reveal
>someone's weakness to others.  Similar to the deal with Kuno and
>Sasuke/Gos in the Cat Fist storyline.

Ranma felt responsible enough to help keep Ryouga's curse a secret.

If Ryouga tried to sue Ranma over it (yeah, diverting majorly from the
style of the series I know), I really doubt Ryouga'd win. Ranma is not
to blame for Ryouga being near Jusenkyo at such a bad time, and
certainly did not deliberately knock Ryouga - didn't even know he was
there. At the time, Ranma was ah, really pissed off with Genma, to put
it lightly, and Ranma can only just about be held responsible for
_intentional_ actions at such a time.

I wouldn't say Ranma _had_ to promise what he did. He probably
considered it "fair" - he accidentaly caused Ryouga some major
misfortune, so he'll do what he can to help Ryouga.

>I think all the anime-only characters are once-offs.
That guy with the frog curse appears more than once, as does Sasuke,
and that pair from Shampoo's village.

--
+---- Chris Rijk --- chris@ivision.co.uk --- http://www.wot-club.org.uk/ ----+
| Dictionary of Alternative Meanings: professor                              |

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs