cliffs, validity, clubs, once-offs, Help Desk

to ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Brad A Clark <bradster_one@fuse.net>
subject cliffs, validity, clubs, once-offs, Help Desk
date Sun, 31 Aug 1997 12:14:21 -0500
Hunter K:

>>Actually I don't excuse Ranma.  I just think that it was pointless for Ryouga
>>to have been searching for Ranma all that time over a fight.  I do have to
>>say that Ranma did have other things on his mind at the time he knocked
>>Ryouga off the cliff though.

>It shouldn't matter.  If you kick someone off a tall cliff, you stop and
>check to see who it was.

Only if you notice that you kicked someone off a cliff.  Ranma was so
intent on beating the stuffing out of Genma that he apparently didn't
even notice.

(to someone else):
>>Did he even realise what he had done?
>He had to.  You don't smash into someone who's two times your body weight
>without feeling it.

While several fanfics seem to portray Ryoga as being much bigger/heavier
than Ranma, I don't really see that much difference  in their frame
size.  Also, Ranma didn't smash into him- it was a glancing blow done
while both were in the air, which would take much less force to
accomplish than a head-on collision on the ground
================

Don:
>        Ukyou's engagement might or might not be valid to the others.  We'll
>never know that because no one cares about the validity issue.  Think
>about it.  If it matters, would not someone told Shampoo to go home
>because she has no valid claim?  And what about Kodachi?  No.  Validity
>doesn't have meaning in Ranma 1/2 to begin with, so you can't really say
>that everyone accepeted it as valid just because they didn't do anything
>about it.  It's just as likely they didn't do anything about it because
>they all thought it's invalid and never had to worry about Ukyou.
>Ukyou's threat value is minimal of all the fiancees.  The only time she
>even got close is the Ten Year Sauce story.  I think her threat value is
>probably around where Kodachi stands, with Shampoo as the ongoing real
>threat to Akane.

If they don't care about the validity issue at all, and validity has no
meaning in Ranma 1/2, then why would they bother thinking that Ukyo's is
invalid?  You're trying to have your cake and eat it too, Don.

And there's *no way* Ukyo is less of a threat than Kodachi.

>month...I've just been too lazy to post anything, so I guess I'm a
>newbie, huh?  Does anyone know if there is ever gonna be an anime
>convention in northern California?  From reading someone's post a while
>back, it seems like hella fun.  Oh, and what exactly do you do in
>factions such as SAUCE or WHAU?  That's all for now...

We have lodge meetings, cookouts, go to the Zoo... (j/k)  The factions
are usually just our way to show which character we like the most.  Each
faction is also more likely to be the source of character defense when
said character is attacked in some way.

I don't think WHAU has a presence on the ML anymore.
=====================

Ted:
>>I think all the anime-only characters are once-offs.
>Ahem. Sasuke. Linlin and Ranran appear again in the Christmas OAV.

OK, you got me on Sasuke (I wasn't really thinking of him since he's an
anime-based replacement of a recurring character), and although I don't
consider a still-frame cameo in an OAV or movie as a repeat occurance
(there would be several more in addition to them if these counted), you
are accidentally correct about Lin-Lin and Ran-Ran, because they
eventually come back to Nerima to get rid of Shampoo's competition for
her.
================

Sherry:
>>>Kevin Lew runs the Ranma 1/2 Stupid Help Desk, right?  I sent him a
>>>question bout half an year ago asking if RT ever wrote any Ranma
>>>novels/stories.  He told me that he didn't know, and he'd unsubbed from
>>>the Ranma ML.
>>>Just to shed a small light.  ^_^

>>Brad replied:
>>If you got that from the Ranma 1/2 ML FAQ on Cardwell's home page, Chris
>>Rjik said he wrote that over 2 years ago, and it hasn't been updated.
>>Remember how we were laughing about how many of those guidelines we
>>violated on a daily basis?

>Sorry?  If I got what from the ML FAQ?  @_@

The fact that Kevin Lew runs the Help Desk (that's why I quoted that
part).  There is a small clip in the Ranma 1/2 FAQ that mentions him
doing this, so that's where I thought you learned about it.  If you
found out about it some other way, then forget I said anything.  On
second thought- don't, because it's still true that the FAQ is over 2
years old, hasn't been updated, and Kevin unsubbed a long time ago.

--
Bradster
He of many nicknames  "Arrrgh!  Whichever shall I choose?!  I would have

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs