Austin anime information (NO SPAM)

to ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from "Kevin Lew -- 'The Lai-Lai Boy'" <kasumi@eden.com>
subject Austin anime information (NO SPAM)
date Wed, 31 May 1995 19:23:36 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "Carlos J. Ovalle" <cjovalle@mailbox.syr.edu>
> Subject: Re: past ranma fanfic
>
> Hi, I'm a "lurker" on this ML...  :)
> Isn't there an .html fanfic place?  I haven't been able to check it out
> recently, but I believe that the address is http://www.pr.mala.bc.ca/ranma.

Why not just go check Thomas Cardwell's Homepage?  He's got links into
almost everything that I know about Ranma except pictures.  You can find
the links to other places from there, at least.

Heck, he even linked to Akane's Kitchen of Pain.  <== Shameless plug.

> Quick question to those in the Austin area: Are there any large anime
> stores around?  Thanks.

Geez, there's plenty of stuff.

Vulcan Video is probably Austin's largest anime video rental store that
always tries to get the SUBTITLED version (if it exists).  They don't have
everything, of course, but who does?  But they do carry an extensive anime
porn collection.

Don't be afraid to call H.E.B. Video Central or Blockbuster Video rental
stores.  Some are pretty decent, and carry PLENTY of (really old) anime
titles.  Every now and then, some loser on r.a.a. will say, "SPOILER
ALERT!  Bubblegum Crisis #1 Synopsis!", so somebody obviously hasn't seen
them.  BTW, my local H.E.B. carries a small amount of smut.

Atomic City, the freaky "hobby" store where you can buy all the stupid
plastic mecha models, and some other anime junk in it.  If you ever find
out where the damn store is located, I'll personally drive you there.
Somewhere close to Guadalupe.  No smut, I don't think.

Both of the Toy Joy stores on Guadalupe are fully licensed Sanrio dealers.
That means, you can buy all the Hello Kitty Trash you can imagine.  Every
damn Sanrio product with some kind of cutesy anime character plastered on
it can be bought there.  Some other overrated stuff, like SM and DBZ can
be seen.  Tell the folks at the counter that you are interested in
anime--they're pretty nice.  Oh, and they sell no smut.

Austin Books sells Japanese anime magazines like Newtype, and many of the
translated comics like Viz stuff.  They are the only ones that I know that
sell import magazines, and they may even have Mangajin.  I don't even
think Book People or the Co-op carries these titles.  They sell smut, but
not the anime/manga kind.

Suncoast Video has a decent selection of anime videos for sale.  Mostly
dubbed stuff, and things that you ought to have seen by now.  But, it's a
good size amount of videos, and I don't think that I've seen a store
that carried more titles (except in other cities).  No smut.

DON'T GO TO AAA NEWS.  I won't mention what they sell, since some loser
will visit there otherwise.  I know exactly what they sell, and you
shouldn't be buying BOOTLEGS.  If you don't listen to me, then you'll
waste your money.  You've been warned!

That's all I know.  I've only lived here for two years, so gimme a
break.  If you know any others, you can add to this list.  And tell me,
since I'm obviously a Very Stupid Otaku.

Important Note:
Remember that anime stores usually have NO CLUE usually about anime.
They just sell the crap, so they aren't otakus.  Basically, don't
try to impress them by saying crap like, "Doko wa Bishoujo Senshi Sera
Mun?", but, "Hey, can I see that book?  The one with the jailbait in
sailor suits on the cover."

BAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKA
      Kevin Lew -- "The Lai-Lai Boy"  (Tendou Kasumi no Iinazuke)
   Ranma 1/2 Stupid Help Desk and Other Stupid Spam E-mail Addresses:
               ra1628@email.sps.mot.com  (Special Account)
               kasumi@eden.com           (Normal Account)

Search field Search string

archive list